Chapter 12

-S-

I stood infront of the steps that leads my way to the exit of the Underground. The sun's ray shone down on me making me slightly cover my face from the light.

      This is it. I can finally get to see the surface.

      "When we reach the surface, we'll reach it together."

      I held my head as a voice rang across my mind. A voice I'd rather forget. Then I felt my body shaking that slowly leads to a panic attack. I quickly took out my pill, chugging one down as I leaned against the wall.

      My breathing steadied, and I stood straight as the twins, Eric, and Boss approach me.

      "Is this all you need?" Ilyse asked as Eric handed me my belongings.

      I nodded stoicly and faced Boss.

      "Everything settled?" I asked.

      She nodded, handing me the payment I need for the exit. "As promised; new identity, you will be exonarated of your crimes and no one in this place will never know a Severine Yaruno."

      "Good."

      "Are you sure you don't want to change your look?" Matthew asked.

      I turned to him, "It'll be fine. No one knew me anyway."

      "I'll send the trio in 2 years," Boss spoke as I turned my back. "After a year, you all should be ready to get back with what I want. Then the four of you will get that permanent citizenship and protection. But get me what I need first, understood? And Severine, your pills should last you a year, if it runs out I'll have someone deliver more."

      "Don't bother," I said sternly, "I'll limit my dosage."

      "Hey," Matthew said, "we'll miss you."

      "I'll miss you, Sis." Ilyse sniffled a cry.

      I craned my neck to the side without facing my body to them. "Same here," I replied stoicly. "Eric, no words for me?"

      Eric scoffed playfully, blowing his hair out of his face, "Why would I?"

     I shrugged my shoulders and started ascending the stairwell. I reached the Military Police guarding the exit as I pulled my hood on to cover my face. I took out the roll of cash from my pocket and handed him the money. I tapped my foot against the ground as I surveyed the area, seeing people from the Scouting Regiment about to enter the Underground.

      What are they doing here? But it was the least of my concern. I shrugged it off and faced the floor.

     After he finished counting, he gestured for me to finally walk out. I took a deep breath before leaving the last step--

      "Sev!" Eric shouted from below, making me stop.

      "What?" I cocked my head to the side, getting a slight view of the people below the stairwell.

     "I-I-I love y-you!"

      Then I froze on spot. My eyes widened as my lips parted.

       "Love?" I said coldly, "Is that a joke?"

      Then without hearing for a reply, I ambled my way out of the Underground.

-LEVI-

"I know she was one of your friends, Levi." Erwin spoke quietly beside me. "I just didn't bring that up in the meeting."

      I widened my eyes, still keeping a calm reaction. "Tch. Short black hair; steel-grey eyes; 5'0."

      "Where can we find her?" Erwin asked as I started to get annoyed.

      "Follow me."

      I lead them to the house where everything began. I turned to familiar alleys, the same bars, and the same neighbors. I stood infront of the door, my hand hesitantly opening it.

      Erwin and the others waited behind me as I carefully opened the door without another word.

      I hope you're here.

      But no, the house's current state clearly states that no one has lived here for awhile.

      "Where could she be?" I mumbled, then my eyes trailed to the floor. There were broken glass and dried blood.

      "There's no one in the rooms, Commander." Mike states.

      "No. . ." I widened my eyes in realization. I quickly rushed out the door, hearing Erwin and the other's shouts from behind. I grappled my hooks and swiftly maneuvered to her house.

      Shit. I shouldn't have left her. I should have come back.

     I landed on the stairs, stomping up to the door as I kicked it down and entered abruptly.

      I scrunched my nose in disgust as a putrid smell filled the air. I turned to my side, seeing a decaying corpse.

      "What just happened. . ." I approached the body examining it.

      My eyes widened in shock seeing who the corpse was.

      Zack Yaruno.

      "Who could have killed him?" I mumbled stoicly, hearing the Scouts arriving. "It can't be her. . ." I then walked to the only room of the house and the smell got stronger as more bodies were piled up in the corner.

      No sign of her.

      "They're confirmed to be one of the biggest rapists in the place," Hanji spoke from beside me as Erwin nodded.

      "We need to find Severine Yaruno," Erwin stated firmly as we walked out the house.

      Where could she be?

      I shook off my thoughts as an old man apporached us.

      "What'chu lookin' there?" He said, pointing to the house. "No one has ever stepped foot in that house for 3 years."

      3 years?

      "Sir, do you know anything about Severine Yaruno?" Erwin asked.

      He placed his finger on his chin and replied, "Ah, her. Rumors said she killed everyone in that house. Just a few days ago, she was confirmed dead; killed by probably one of her enemies who wanted revenge."

      A gasp escaped my lips upon hearing what he said. She killed all seven bodies? And now she's. . .dead?

      "Sev. . ." I mumbled, saying her name for the first time in four years.
I stepped up to the man, a cold look on my face. "Are you sure old man?"

      "Sure," he replied confidently.

      She's dead. . .and the last time I saw her was during her 18th birthday.

      A pang of guilt and pain hits my heart. I lowered my head and started walking away.

      We tried to gather as much information as we can for the past few hours, but everyone has been telling us the same thing: Severine Yaruno is dead.

      As we finally exited the Underground, I mounted on my horse.

      "Sorry about your friend," Erwin said stoicly.

      "Tch," I clicked my tongue in annoyance. "What a waste of time."

      Then we returned back to HQ.