Chapter 5

-LEVI-

Her breathing steadied as I held her close in my arms while she drifted off to sleep. Our hearts drew closer due to the embrace; my heart raced all of a sudden, giving me a feeling I haven't felt before.

      I laid awake the entire night, laying in my room when I'm supposed to be doing general cleaning. I sighed deeply, slowly untangling my arms from her body, careful not to wake her up.

       She shifted her position as I parted, making her short, soft, black hair fall unto her delicate face.

       She looks so peaceful when she sleeps. I said to myself, staring at her face while I sat up.

      My hands absent-mindedly neared her face, tucking strands of hair behind her ear. My cold eyes softened, lips parted as I studied the bruises and scars on her face. The big bags under her eyes clearly showed she hasn't gotten some sleep.

      I exhaled sharply, sitting on the chair beside the bed, taking a book in my right hand while my other was draped behind the back of the chair.

A few hours passed by as I have finished reading. I placed down my book, startled to see a pair of eyes meeting mines.

      "You stayed." Sev said, sitting up.

      I faced her and held a stoic face. "I said, didn't I?"

      She laughed lightly, making my heart skip a beat.

      What is this feeling?

      I quickly shook it off and stood up. "Eat your breakfast." She nodded her head and followed me outside the room.

      "Sev!" Farlan beamed upon seeing her, "I made you're favorite; Blueberry pancakes!"

      "I helped him!" Isabel spoke up.

      I turned to the Sev, a big smile stretching across her face as she approached the table.

      We all settled down on the table while I listened to their chatter.

      "We're going on a supply rum today, right bro?" Isabel faced to me, munching on her bread.

      I nodded, sipping my tea.

      "I want to partner up with Sev this time." Farlan challenged, "See who can gather more food."

      Sev laughed, "It's fine to keep dreaming, Farlan," she bickered while they continued talking.

      I sighed deeply and spoke, "Sev will stay here." They all went silent as they turned to me, confused.

      "Why--"

      "For your safety." I said strictly. "Just lock the doors and prepare your knife."

      "But I'll be fine now!" She argued, "I-I p-promise."

      I clicked my tongue, flashing her a cold stare. "Tch. No. You're staying here and wait for us to get back."

      "But Levi--"

      "No is no! Sev." I spat, then my eyes softened as I saw her fear me for the first time. I slowly sat back, and faced down as a few strands of my hair covered my eyes.

      "Okay," she mumbled quietly and continued eating.

       I took one last sip of my tea and stood up, turning to the other two. "Isabel and Farlan get your gears."

"Tomorrow's Sev's birthday, right Big Bro?" asked Isabel.

      I nodded as I continued walking with my hands in my pocket.