the both of you

Credits to: it's rotten work (lilhemmo.tumblr.com)

"You promise you won't tell him before we have the party?"

Toni smiles, her eyes bright, "Are you kidding? I can't wait to see his face!"

You nod, "Me either."

Sweet Pea proposed to you a few years after you graduated high school, right after you got back from college. You returned to Riverdale with a degree you could use and you helped to clean up the Southside. You worked with Toni, Fangs, Sweet Pea and other Serpents to fix up the construction and get some money flowing back through the Southside.

It wasn't long before you got married, and Pea bought the mechanic's garage and the Wyrm with money he'd been saving up from rather unsavory activities. At least Peabody paid good money for those drug runs back in the day.

Now you're hiding a very big secret from him, but it's for his own good.

"Babe, promise you won't be late?" you echo through the phone receiver. Pea looks up to the body in front of him, bloody and battered but still breathing, "Yeah, promise."

You weren't aloof to the premise of what his Serpent duties involved. You chose not to get too involved – you weren't the clean-up crew, you weren't the intimidation warden, and you weren't the voice of reason through it all. You were just the person who kept the Whyte Wyrm in business, who kept Switzerland up and running while the Serpents on the ground did the dirty work.

Currently you're pouring shots at the Wyrm while Tony sets up the entire getup with balloons and confetti spread around. You can't keep the smile off your face as you realize the gravity of what you're going to tell Sweet Pea. He won't have to stop what he's doing, of course, but he will have to understand the consequences of his actions.

He'll have more to fight for, you tell yourself.

The demon on your shoulder whispers: Yes, but he'll also have more to lose.

The clock chimes nine and you're sitting on the back porch of the Wyrm waiting for Sweets to arrive. The longer you sit, the more nervous you become. Your hand instinctively presses over your stomach as your toe nudges the gift box sitting in front of you.

It's nine thirty and you still haven't heard from Sweet Pea, but you do know that he was out on a job and you're sure that it just ran late.

Your head lolls against the porch post and you find yourself fading in and out of sleep around ten fifteen. You lick your lips and clutch the box in your hands, keeping it safe as if your life depended on it. You tell yourself it will just be a moment that you'll close your eyes, but sooner rather than later you're jolted out of sleep at close to eleven.

Your phone rings and the sheriff's phone number populates on your screen. Your heart leaps into your throat and you answer the call with shaking fingers.

"Yeah, FP?"

"Sweets is down at Riverdale General."

You don't listen to the rest of what he has to say, instead running inside to grab Toni and ride with her to the hospital. The ride is silent, your eyes drawn to the woods in the distance to try and keep your mind occupied as you count the trees. The package sits in your lap and you are digging into the paper with your fingernails, but you don't care.

"Where is he?" you ask frantically, noticing Fangs and Jug leaning against a wall up the hallway. You smack Fangs on the arm, "Where is he?"

His eyes are dark and sad, which does nothing to quell the acid rising in your stomach, and he points to the room across the hall with Sweet Pea written on the white board. You push through the door, not caring if anyone else is in there.