Chapter One:Get off before you squeeze the life out of me

Now I'm a warrior,
Now I got thicker skin,
I'm a warrior,
I'm stronger than I've ever been,
My armor is made of steel you can't get in,
I'm a warrior,
And you can never hurt me again 〰️ Demi Lovato

⚫⚫⚫

Madrid, Spain
One year later; present

"Are you sure you actually want to do this?..." My best friend began her rant as I put my last bag into the trunk of the car and slammed it shut. When I looked at her she was pacing about like she just heard I was getting implants.

She started to hit the back of her hand still pacing about. "I mean Canada's a really far place it's at least 8 hours from here... that's an entire day gone." She let out a nervous chuckle. I simply ignored her as I stood back crossing my mental checklist to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything.

"If you change your mind..." My second best friend attempted. "Now that I think about it maybe you don't necessarily have to do this we could just triple your family and our protection." He said and I shook my head.

"Guys you of all people know that it's not about what I want it's about what needs to be done," I said finally trying to conceal my irritation I know they meant well but we'd already had this conversation a million times.

"Julianna you know she's right it's better that way at least she'll be safer." Alvaro my other best friend said agreeing with me.

"Oh I know I know but this is all so sudden." Julianna finally said placing a hand on her forehead as she bit the inside of her lips.

"You've known for the past three months," I stated to her rolling my eyes.

"Still..."

Finally realizing that I wasn't going to change my mind. "Call and text every day." I looked at her feigning consideration before giving a playful shrug.

"Why not," I said giving her a little smile. We all knew that wasn't possible but with Julia, I wasn't ready to go back and forth on the reasons why I couldn't call and text every day so why not just leave her hopes where they were instead of bringing them down.

She attempted to hug me but noticed my body tense. She stepped back shoulders sagged and had a hurt look but it was gone in an instant before she finally muttered. "What the fuck." and throwing herself on me it took me a minute to react I almost threw her off but then I caught myself at the last minute.

"Get off before you squeeze the life out of me." I tried not to snap but failed.

She stepped back with a meek smile "I'm going to miss you so much, Sierra."

My heart faltered and after an internal battle I cupped her cheek and she placed her hand over mine at the contact there was a sink in my stomach but I controlled the urge to smack her handoff. She was my best friend after all. "I know."

Just then my younger brother came running through the door "Sierra!"  He screamed coming to a halt at my feet. "Daddy told me you were leaving now." He said a little out of breathing.

I looked up to see my father and elder sister Ramona at the door. I smiled down at him and ruffled the black mop of hair on his head and forced myself to give him a kiss on his forehead.

"You've got that right Mateo," I said still smiling and he looked back up beaming at me as I straightened.

I walked up to meet my father and sister by the doorstep and Mateo was right behind taking big steps just to catch up with me. "Take good care of yourself." My dad said kissing the top of my head despite the irritable look on my face he chuckled and ruffled my hair which I smacked off because this mane took a lot to tame. "We're all going to miss you."