Chapter 14

Cover credit goes to @MilkweedSintheSky

Zara's POV

The realization of me being staring at him for quite long hit me convincing me to drift my eyes to the empty white porcelain plate in my hand. Although I am not sure he meant what he just said or not, it gets me awestruck as I wasn't expecting that at least coming from someone like him. An uncomfortable silence takes place between us. In an attempt to alleviate the awkward silence, I clear my throat slightly.

"When are we leaving for Pakistan?" I inquire lifting my face up again to meet him throwing his dead phone in the air and then perfectly catching it repeatedly. He stops his hand which is ready to throw the phone again and glance at me.

"Next week probably. "A brief reply comes from his side followed by another round of throwing. Can he be less annoying for a while? Next week is still much far away. I just want to get myself free from all the fuss happening in my life nowadays. I want to make my life better again. And the first important thing is my career.

"Can I complete my studies once we get there?" I ask while putting the plate on the coffee table present on the front.

"You don't have to ask me about the decisions of your life, do what you want to do. Just don't meddle in my life and I won't intrude in your matters. And when the things will be in my favor, we will part our ways, " he replies giving full attention to me.

I clearly know what he meant by things in his favor. Once he will inherit his father's property, he will divorce me like he once said to his girlfriend on the phone. But unknowingly my heart urges me to listen to the reason from his mouth.

"What do you mean by things in your favor?"

He stares back at me and furrows his eyebrows dismally. Instead of saying anything, he stands up stretching his muscular arms.

"You will sleep here," he orders and walks to the back of the sofa.

Again he ignores my question. How can I forget he only just replies to me when he wants to. But why he doesn't tell me that little thing. That is not something at which I can make any panic situation. But one thing is clear I don't have to suffer my whole life like this. Whether he said that thing to just console his girlfriend or it is true, he has plans for freedom of both of us and it's surely a piece of good news for me. Dad won't be displeased because it won't be me who will be causing bitterness in his friendship with Mister Riassani by breaking this relationship. And I will be able to spend my life in my way. A small smile creeps on my face at the thought. It's like killing two birds with one stone.

I move my eyes on the sofa to only find two small cushions. So I have to use them as a replacement for the pillow. Wow! I hope my good days will make a comeback soon. The days when I was free from any restrictions. When I don't have to face a handsome devil every day in my life when I didn't have to live according to someone's control. I take the cushion and place it on the head side of the sofa.

I block the incoming yawn by the back of my hand. My eyelids are becoming heavier due to the sleepy state. I turn the lights off and climb on the sofa. Soon my eyes become close sending me to the valley of sleep. My eyelids agitate due to the loud growling sound follows by magnificent roaring. At first, my mind can't comprehend what is happening. Then with a loud thump, my eyes flutter open.

There are lions here.

Armaan's voice resonates from my memory center of the brain straight into my ears causing me to jump off the sofa. The absolute darkness and constant roaring make my knees melt and my jaw drops in fear. I lifelessly ran and waver my hand in the darkness to search for the light switch which my fingers get acknowledge of soon. I instantly turn the button up and the whole hall gets bath in white light. My breath gets hitching and I can hear my heart's swift beating in my ears. Who the hell make houses near a whole zoo?

No! I will die like this let alone sleep. A loud roar causes me to cover my ears with my both hands. These lions have no plan to remain quite. My quivering eyes spot a wooden door in front of them. This is the very room where he went earlier. Sorry again my ego, I have to do it. Otherwise, these lions won't let me breathe peacefully. I move my legs towards the brown door and knock on it slightly with my knuckles. I know I will regret this decision in my near future but I don't have any other option.

"What? " His faint, sleepy voice came after my good amount of knocking. I then realize the door is not locked, I push it a little and it open with a crackling sound. I peek inside to find Armaan lying on a bed rubbing his eyes.

"What is it now?" He shouts while giving me his famous glare.

"I.. Can I sleep here?" I ask after fighting for the right words. His facial expressions suddenly soften and he looks at me with a confused face.

"Why?"

What should I say? If I tell him the truth he will surely make fun of me being coward and meek.

"Because there are mosquitoes outside and I can't be able to sleep," I reply while showing my full confidence.

He is now fully awake. He binds his arms in front of his chest and looks at me amusedly.

"So do you think this room has a mosquito net?"

Great! This guy has an answer to everything!

"Actually, I...." I lick my lips in despair. Why it always feels like I am a culprit having interrogated in front of him.

"I can't sleep because of the roaring of the lions. Can I sleep here? I won't disturb you." I request while showing my smile. I can't take this anymore.

The side of his lips curls up to form a smirk. He is clearly enjoying my state right now.

"Is the great Miss Zara Khawar pleading someone?" He asks with a beguiling smug spread on his face. At this point, I feel like slapping him hard and ran away from here as soon as possible but this is not something possible for me at least in this gullible situation in which I am in. He doesn't even know me fully and act like he has made my birth certificate. I wonder what he has made into his mind for me. According to his vague talks, I can easily extract that he has a misconception about him. Not that I am calling myself less self-conceited but not that much which he always tries to prove.

"Yes I am pleading to you, are you happy now?" I try hard to not make my accent much dry and harsh. This is not something that I always control. I always spat when I want and what I want to. But with him, this is again an exception, maybe due to the fear of sleeping alone in the background music of roars and thumps.

"Since you are asking with much sweetness so you can sleep on the floor and after that don't disturb me," he lay back again and pull the duvet back on his face.

Sleeping on the floor in at least someone's presence is much better than sleeping alone. I track my eyes down on the floor. To my satisfaction, there is already a carpet spread across the room. After putting the cushion on the floor, I lay down. My eyes are far from sleep now. The sleep has already departed due to all the events that have happened. Luck is clearly not on my side these days and this is a hundred percent due to this cursed marriage. But I hope those days are not much far when I will find true love who will love me back. Who will love me like the way I am. Although I haven't experienced love before till now, I want to taste its sweetness and flavor as everyone does.

A shriek left my mouth unconditionally when my train of thoughts gets crash by another deadly roar. These lions won't allow me to live calmly. At this point, my mind is ready to curse the developers of this cottage. I look over at Armaan who is sleeping peacefully. How come he is sleeping like nothing is happening. He is really weird. I feel like crying at this moment. I grab the cushion hard to make myself feel at home more like someone is with me. Why these lions are not quieting?

                  *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Assalam O Alaikum! Eid Mubarak to all the Muslim readers of this book. May Allah will continue showering His blessings on us.

What do you think of this book so far? Do you think our main leads will part their ways? What do you want for them? Comment don your thoughts and assumptions in the comment section and don't forget to vote.