Chapter 63

Shaiq's POV

"What happened here?"

We both turn back to find Mom coming towards us. In fact, she gets a little taken aback when she notices Zainab. Zainab greets her but before she can greet her back, she stops beholding the wound on my face. Although I have spitted the blood, still there is some clotted blood under my lower lip.

Mom turns my face towards her as she softly touches my lower lip, "what is this, Shaiq?"

I flinch when her finger directly hits the bruised area. I open my mouth to say something but before I can do so, Zainab speaks which makes my eyes to get wide in astound.

"Aunt, he just fell on the ground, and that's when it happens. Right Shaiq?" She shows me eyes to say the same thing as her.

What a lie, Zainab.

"Yes, Mom. She is right, " I utter as I glare at her.

"Anyways, why are you still at home?" Mom asks her.

I hope she just leaves right away. It's such a pity that today I will lose my childhood friend. I won't be able to become the one who brings a smile at her face. But it's better than seeing her suffering. Her words in the hospital just prompt me to make a decision quickly.

"I am just going to the coffee shop for my part-time job but if you guys have come then I'll stay..."

"No Zainab, go," I interrupt and almost yell.

"What I meant is that we aren't coming to your house. We were just passing from here and we have to leave for an important place real quick. Right, Mom?" I look at my baffled Mom for the assertion.

"Yeah, he is right," Mom quickly replies.

Zainab stares at both of us with confusion. I am sure she isn't convinced of whatever we are saying.

"Okay then, I am going. Bye." Zainab waves at both of us as she walks away.

I let out a deep puff of air when she has gone.

Zainab, I am sorry!

             *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

"Wait a minute, what did you just say?" Daniyal yells as he stands up from the sofa he is sitting.

I rub my forehead in frustration as I look at Mom. This guy seriously is a bomb and I never ever liked to talk to him. I never thought I will need to plead to him someday. I shrug my shoulders while my eyes are still on Mom. She slightly nods her head, a way for me to have the courage to say this.

If it weren't for Mom and her support, I won't be able to come here and discuss this topic. I remember when I first tell her about the whole situation, she doesn't even say anything. She soon understands Zainab's condition and without any reluctance, she agrees to come with me. Perhaps because she loves Zainab as her own daughter or because of me, she has done this.

I take a deep breath before opening my mouth again.

"I said, I want to marry Zainab. Her engagement which is going to happen this coming Friday, I want it to be with me."

"Why so?" Zainab's father inquires.

Now, what should I answer about this vague question? Should I myself say the thing which I have asked Mom to say? That's so difficult to even think of this; how will I manage to say this?

I cone out of my thoughts when I find Mom squeezing my hand with her.

I run my fingers through my hair as I try to wash away Zainab's face from my eyes.