Chapter 27

Zara's POV

He brushes his thumb onto my right cheek and that's when tangibility hits me. I slapdash flicker open my eyes. And the first thing I notice is the white peel of flour on his thumb which he has just moved away from my face. I recklessly get up from where I was seated. What I was even thinking? It was like I was melting under his touch, unable to utilize my perceptions altogether. Why I was feeling that way? I am so silly actually to act like that way in front of him.

I peek at him with my side eyes to find him looking at me with his lips curl up in a smirk.  How will I face him again? I am sure my face is burning red right now.

That smirk! I clearly know what does it means. Shit!

"Ma'am you can stop making it, the other workers have come. "

At that time, I am grateful to the maid for pulling me out of this awkward situation. I take a glance at him standing in front of the wall, with his back statured on it and his arms cross on his chest. He is staring at me with the same stupid smirk and an amusing expression on his face.

"Okay, then do it quickly and let me know when it's done. I will be in....Where will I be?" I don't even realize I have spoken up my thoughts too. Why I am getting embarrassed? Think of a way, Zara, and get out of here. I hear him chuckle at this. Can he just get out instead?

"I will be in the lawn, yes," I say quickly gesturing her with the help of my hand and rush out.

               *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

I stare at the brown wooden orphanage building seated in front of me. I have never come here. If I remember correctly, it is not exclusively owned by Dad. He only used to do its fundraisings. This orphanage is owned by a woman I guess. I get out of the car by ordering the driver to take out the food and stuff from the back of th car. 

I knock the wooden door with my knuckles slightly. The dazzling sunlight is exactly pouring onto me. I knock again, this time, a little more hard when I hear footsteps approaching near to me. After a while, a middle-aged woman with a bright smile opens the gate. Her brown hair is folded into a bun with some greyish white streaks adorning her hair more. She has freckles on her milky white skin. She is wearing a long dark brown skirt coming down to her heels with a mustard top. On her head, she is wearing a bandanna that is folded around the front of her head just above her forehead. She doesn't look like Pakistani to me.  She looks at me with a confused look, not getting to remember who I am.

"Assalam o Alaikum! I am Zara, the daughter of Khawar Baig who had been doing the fundraising of this orphanage," I introduce myself with a soft smile.

"Oh, you are a Master's daughter. I am really sorry for what has happened to him. He is like the father of the children here. We have such a big loss," she speaks with tears glistening in her eyes.

I hug her when she starts getting more emotional.

"What brings you here, daughter? " she asks while wiping her face.

"Today is the anniversary, right? So I gave came here to spend time with the children just like Dad used to do."

A wandering tear leaves my eye at the mere talk of him. I am missing him so much. Why he has left me like that? She nods her head in the reply.

"Can I know your name?" I ask.

"My name is Elizabeth, I have come here from London a decade ago and I am the owner of this orphanage. I solely take care of the children here," she explains. I am amazed by how well she speaks Urdu despite not being a Muslim or belonging from Pakistan.