Chapter 18

Zara's POV

I doff the duvet off my face when I rise from the slumber. The sharp gleamy white dawn is persuading my brain to speculate that I am still in a dream, probably the one which I was having in my deep sleep earlier. I stretch my limbs while sitting up, duvet still wrapping my lower half and the warmth transpiring through it still furnishing my body with insulation.

I run my fingers through my hair while my eyes scanning the vacant room. Probably I have overslept today, for this reason, I don't realize when Armaan has left the room. I grab my phone with my right hand while my other hand covering my mouth stifling the yawn. My forehead creases in confusion when I notice many missed calls and voice note from the maid of Dad's house. Being the heavy sleeper I am, I don't get to realize about any of these calls. I hope everything is okay. Why she has been calling me since the night yesterday?

I play the audio message with a thumping heart. My eyes widen in panic and uncertainty while listening to it.

'Sorry, Zara Mam, you weren't picking up my calls that's why I had to leave this audio message. Your father has got a heart attack at night today and he is in the hospital right now. Please come as soon as possible as he really is in critical condition.'

No this can't be true. Tomorrow, he was all healthy, and now what happened to him? Tears start building up in my eyes rendering my eyesight blurry. I storm downstairs while dialing the number of the same maid regarding whereabouts of the hospital. Tears begin trickling out of my eyes. Critical condition! No that's can't be true.

"Mam, where are you going?" A servant asks anxiously seeing me rushing out of the house but I ignore her. Seems like no one is at home at this hour.

"Can you take me to the hospital quickly?" I ask the driver while dabbing my tears from the back of my hand.

"Which hospital? Is everything okay, Ma'am?" He inquires worriedly.

"I'll tell you on the way, " I explain and get in the car.

         *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

The ground seems to heaves from my feet, abandoning me flabbergasted at what just I listened to. My feet get glued to where they were and a hard and heavy thing drop on my heart leaving me to succumb to react to anything. Someone tell me I have heard wrong, tell me this is a dream, or at least tell me my senses are lost.

"I am sorry, he is no more, " The doctor tells the servants present there.

The flowy tears from the earlier freeze in my eyes, my paced heartbeat slows down and my already quivering legs cowardly quit to being a support for my whole body and when I acknowledge the people here have become aware of my presence, my knees dishinge and if it wasn't for the wall behind me, I would have fallen right on the floor.

His smile starts appearing in front of me. Today I have become alone again. Does he really have to leave me without talking to me in his last breaths? And in a jerk of a minute, my all senses came back, it's like someone has pushed all the switches on again. The tears start flowing from my eyes wetting my cheeks, my heart starts beating at an insane pace and my feet do get lift up but this is all accompanied by the disfunction of my nervous system and the last thing I know is that the wall also can't bear to carry me and I fall right on my knees only to be carried up by a faint familiar figure's strong arms before my mind goes.

             *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Armaan's POV

My running fingers on the laptop stop moving when my father enters my office. He never himself come into my office for the entire time I started working here, today what happens that he is here. From what I have learned by living with him, he surely has come here for a purpose.