Chapter 44

Zara's POV

"Are you sure this is your University?"

His voice turns fierce and rough all of a sudden, completely opposite from a while ago. His facial expressions reciprocate his voice- tensed and aggressive as his lips are pursed in a thin line. It's out of my perception that why he is so dubious of this mere thing.

"Of course, why are you suspicious of it?"

"No!" He shakes his head in denial but his eyes at still fixed on the University building, " I am not suspicious of anything. I was just asking."

Yes, why he will be uncertain of this? Perhaps, I am overthinking.

"Anyways, I am leaving."

I twist the handle of the car's door as I tell him. He just nods his head in approval.

The cold breeze hits me as soon as I come out of the car. I hug my arms around myself. I am probably really late that's why there are not so many students out there.

"Zara, wait!"

I stop in my track when his deep yet breathy voice comes into my hearing. Why he has came back? I turn around on my toes to find Armaan standing there. He walks towards me when he notices me facing him. I raise a brow in question.

"You forgot your phone in the car." He pulls his hand forward which has my phone on it.

In haste, I smack my forehead slightly. I am so dumb. How can I forget to take my phone?

"Thank you. I guess it slipped out of my mind that-" I bite my tongue in embarrassment when I realize what I was going to blurt out.

The humiliation I am feeling gets more surged when I discover a smirk appearing on his lips.

"That you have a phone?" He asserts in a low voice. The smirk never leaving his face.

How can he know I was going to say this?

"Not really." I cross my arms on my chest in outrage.

He chuckles at this. I roll my eyes in frustration.

"Hey, Zara, what are you-"

A gush of excitement flows through my body but soon that sentiment withers away when my mind reminisces what that same person has done to me the other day. I turn around to face him with a furious look but all my anger alters into confusion seeing him like this.

Shaiq has his eyes popped out like a puppy who has confronted something really unusual. His lips are parted a little as he is blinking his eyes in a never-ending way. But what I don't comprehend at first is that his eyes are not on me from the start. He has his eyes locked on Armaan whose expressions are no different than him. Perhaps I should introduce them to each other.

"Armaan, he is my friend, Shaiq, and Shaiq he is my husband, Armaan." 

I don't know but calling him as my husband sounds so strange and odd to me.

"What? You are married?" Shaiq yells.

"To him?" He gestures his pointer finger towards Armaan.

"Zara, I am going back. I'll tell the driver to pick you up later," Armaan announces and walks back without sparing a second glance.

This is my time to get puzzled. Everything happens so in haste that I am unable to decipher anything. Do they both know each other? I stare at Shaiq who is also looking at me, more like glaring at me. His lower jaw is clenched tightly. But his eyes despite being fierce are showing hues of red as they are twinkling with the incoming sunlight. There is a silence that settles between us in which I don't know what to ask and what to tell him.