Chapter 72

Zainab's POV

"Zainab, where is that cousin of yours?"

I look at Armaan in a baffled state. What should I tell him? That this cousin of mine has sacrificed his love, life, and everything for me. Armaan is the sole reason Shaiq has to suffer like this. If I tell him that Shaiq is my husband now, everything will be ruined and I won't be able to get what I want.

When I can't take Armaan's questionable stare for so long, I divert my eyes away. When nothing comes in my mind, I unknowingly fidget with my fingers as I close my eyes to put stress on my mind for an appropriate answer.

I open my eyes again to find Armaan looking at me with the same dubious stare. I assemble the right words in my mind. I take a sigh before opening my mouth.

"I don't know where he is. I have broken every tie with him. I am in no more contact with him."

"Why? Isn't he, your best friend?" I can decipher the stress on the word best friend by him and this just brings a smirk on my face.

He is mocking Shaiq's love as a best friend for me. Little does he know that due to this friendship, what Shaiq has gone through.

"Before being my best friend, he is a man. Do you think after being labeled as characterless by my own brother and parents, any other man will believe me?" I state.

I peek at him with my side eyes and the apologizing expressions on his face just prompt my smirk to get more pronounced.

"I am sorry, Zainab. You have to go through all of this because of me. If I had the slightest idea that your family will be this conservative, I wouldn't have done this."

"Don't be sorry. I am telling you, it's not your mistake. Why are you constantly blaming yourself?" I turn my body towards him and show him a fake smile.

"Because I am the one who should be blamed," he sighs as his eyes get locked in the supermarket, " anyways, you can't live here, in this place. Let me do something for you. I will buy you an apartment or something."

My jaw drops when he says this.

"No, not at all," I half yelled.

The narrow blue eyes which gaze at me right after, are enough to tell me that I have done a huge blunder by yelling. And if I won't do something to cover it up, then I'll be in big trouble. I bite my tongue at my own stupidity.

"What I mean to say is that I want to earn everything on my own. If you will still do things for me, the accuse of me being characterless will turn out to be right. So please, don't do anything. I am fine here," I try to persuade him by bringing tears in my eyes.

He lets out a frustrating sigh before nodding his head.

"Still, if you need anything, don't hesitate to tell me. I will be more than happy to help you out," he asserts while looking at me with concerned expressions.

Despite how much I hate you Armaan, I can't deny the fact that you have got such a big and soft heart. I never thought it will be as easy as chewing a soft chewing gum to manipulate you.

I give him a small smile before looking out. The sun is about to be set and due to this, the faint darkness is making its way to just shroud the overall area. It's soon going to be the night. Something buzzes inside me and I hit my hand on my forehead in annoyance. Shaiq may have come home and he will be looking for me. In haste, I forget to take my phone with me. He must have been calling me. He will be getting so worried due to my absence. I need to go back quickly.

"I really need to go now, Armaan. Bye," I wave my hand at him and get out of the car.

Now I have to pose to be in pain as long as Armaan is here. It will take decades for me to reach the supermarket. I roll my eyes in frustration. I fake stumble on my leg and walk towards the front of the supermarket.