An Algebraic Connection-Tate Langdon

Imagine - Tate is your best friend, but he's been acting pretty strange lately...

"Give me that shit," Tate said as he ran by my bed, snatching my textbook as he passed by.

He opened the book and began to examine it. I chuckled at the disgusted look that had appeared on his face. The ghost boy had been my best friend ever since my aunt and I moved into the Murder House about seven months ago. Because he can't leave the house, we spend most of our time together in my room, but he's been more clingy than usual lately. He takes my stuff when I'm not looking so I can search for it with him. In the end, he always has whatever I'm looking for on him. He locks the doors and traps me in the house so I can't leave for school and gave me a new profound respect for windows. He stays by my side at all times, except when I go outside of the property and to the bathroom.

"What the fuck even is this," he asked. I got up from the bed and snatched the book out of his hand.

"Algebra 2 with Trig," I answered as I shook the book in his face, "Now could you please leave? I need to concentrate."

Tate looked confused, "I don't remember Math being that hard," he said rubbing the back of his neck.

"That's because it's not 1994 anymore, dumb ass," I rolled my eyes and let out a little chuckle, "Times change, Casper, now go and be a friendly ghost somewhere else. I have to work."

"Ouch," he smirked as he placed a hand on his chest and pretended to be hurt, "Words hurt, Y/n."

I laughed a little, "You'll be fine, Blondie, just take a pain reliever and call it a day."

"You're gonna do me like that," he gasped playfully, "now that's vile."

"What can I say," I shrugged as I walked back towards the bed, "I learned from the best."

He proudly shook his head. "I've created a monster," he laughed as he made his way over to me, "Who knew my special creation would be the cause of my destruction."

He flailed his arms around as he flopped onto the bed, sticking out his tongue as he pretended to act dead.

"You know you don't have to mock death right," I joked as I skimmed over a page, "You've already mastered it."

"That's it," Tate laughed as he stood up from the bed, "I'm getting you back for that one."
He slyly took the book out of my hand and held it over his head.

"Give it back, Tate," I exclaimed as I sat up from the bed, "I have to have that done by tomorrow."

"How about no," he teased.

"I'm not playing this game with you," I growled at him as I continuously jumped up trying to reach the book.

He laughed at the fact that we both knew that I was too short. I was nowhere near close to reaching the book.

"I'll give it back," Tate smiled, "but under one condition."

I huffed, "Fine. What do you want?"

His face became more serious.

"Well you know Halloween is tomorrow," he spoke, "It's the only time any of us, ghosts, can leave the house." I nodded my head.

"Yeah, because you're all damned here in this hellhole for eternity," I said.

He chuckled, "Exactly and you've been extremely busy lately. I hardly get to see you anymore. I was wondering if maybe after you come home from school," he paused to take a deep breath, "Can you just...hang out with me sometime?"

"Of course I can," I smiled and nodded, "I'm sorry if I made you feel like I was ignoring you. I've just been so caught up with school and-"

"I've always loved you Y/n," Tate interrupted as he grabbed my hand, "After everything that went on with Violet, I never thought I'd never say that again. Then you walked in or should I say tripped into my room."

"We agreed to never discuss that fall again," I laughed.

"Yeah. We did," Tate laughed with me, "But if it wasn't for that fall I would've never helped you up and introduced myself."

"And you wouldn't have scared me shitless," I added.

"I would've never guessed you were scared, you showed no signs of fear at all," he said surprised.

"Well you gotta stay calm on the outside and panic on the inside," I replied, "How else do you think I would've survived public school?"

"Smart thinking," he smiled as he moved closer to me, "Gorgeous, funny, and smart. Not to mention the greatest friend anyone could have."

He tossed the textbook onto my bed and grabbed my chin. There he stood, his brown eyes burning into mine as a dimpled grin formed upon his face.

"I love you. I always have. I always will and I know you do too," He spoke softly.

"H-How are you so sure about that," I asked.

Before I knew it, his lips were on mine and the world around us had stopped only beginning to move again when he pulled away.

"I can see it in your eyes, hear it in your voice, feel it in your touch," Tate said as he hovered his lips above mine, "I can feel it in in your kiss. I know you feel it too." He let go of my hand and my face.

"What are you doing," I asked him. I did not want this moment to stop.

"I gotta go," he smiled as he grabbed the textbook from the bed, "I have a therapy session with Ben."

He handed me the textbook and winked as he headed out of the door.

"Hold on-Tate," I shouted, "We gotta talk about this."
I sat the book back on the bed and walked out sprinted towards the doorway. He was nowhere to be found.

"Tate," I shouted down the hallway.

There was no response so I walked back into my room. I grabbed my textbook off of the bed once again and tried to concentrate on my studies. No matter how hard I tried to distract myself I could only think about him. I slammed the textbook closed, the sound of something falling off of my shelf spooked me as I closed the book.

"What the hell was that," I asked aloud as I got up from my bed and walked over to the item that had fallen. I bent over and grabbed the object off of the ground. It was my Nirvana CD case.

"So you're in the room," I rolled my eyes and looked around. He was there he just didn't want me to see him.

"In utero," I chuckled as I placed the cd in my stereo and sat back down on the bed, watching as the tracks changed by themselves.

Suddenly the stereo stopped and Heart-Shaped Box began playing. After two minutes of singing along, I grabbed my book and headed downstairs to the kitchen to look for my aunt.

"Hey kiddo," she greeted me as she typed on her laptop.
"Hey, can I ask you for help with something?"

"Sure thing," she smiled as she looked at the textbook in my hand, "Algebra 2 with Trig, huh?"

I nodded my head, "Yeah, that too." She raised an eyebrow.

I cleared my throat, "You see there's this boy...and I think I love him."