40 ➳ Until Miles Hale

RUNNING

FOR MILES

"Right Eden?!" Truman asked me from across the table as I could feel Blaire and his cold stares on me.

Somehow, I must have zoned out or maybe even fallen asleep for that matter. Last night was rough, I couldn't fall asleep for the life of me so I had managed to stay up until the early hours of the morning, scrolling through endless hours of Tik Tok.

Man, that app is so addictive, I tried to throw it back once because I was bored but instead, I'm pretty sure I threw my hip out. I seriously don't understand how those people can do it so effortlessly like a million times, there has to be some secret in doing it.

It's Monday, the last class of the day which is study period. All of the other classes I felt as though I had managed to fall asleep every few minutes as it seemed that this whole day has been dragging along as if we are moving but time is not.

I looked at them with wide eyes as I gave them an apologetic smile as I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, "Sorry what?"

"Blaire and I were just discussing which is better." Truman said as he tried not to let out a loud sigh, "Champion or Tommy Hilfiger." Truman glared at Blaire, "Tommy is the obviously correct answer."

Blaire looked up from her nails as she sent Tru a glare, "No it isn't!"

"Yes, it is my nana used to buy it from Walmart all the time." Truman scoffed as he rolled his eyes at Blaire whose face dropped.

"Whatever." she said flipping her hair over her shoulder as she looked away at something over her shoulder.

I tried not to hold in a loud laugh that was begging to be let out but I managed to contain it. Everyone at the table seemed to go silent as we now didn't have much to talk about after Truman and Blaire's mini argument.

As I scribbled doodles on the side of my lined notebook I couldn't help but steal a few glances from Hale how was stretched out on his chair next to Truman who was across the table from me as he had his eyes glued to his phone.

Waking up the morning after Nathaniel's party, in Hale's arms would have been the best way to wake up in the morning except that's not how I had happened. Hale had jolted awake, releasing his arm from around me and ran for the bathroom where he proceeded to empty his stomach into.

That morning I had offered to make him breakfast to try and cure the hangover but Hale had insisted that there was only one hangover cure and it was a breakfast burger from Melrose's coffee house. I made sure that I was the one driving as I lectured him that there was still alcohol in his system and that he could get fined if we were to be pulled over, even though he protested a million times he gave in.

Not much else had really happened that day we just got food and then on the way home from Melrose's he had dropped me back home, where I had studied while watching Game of Thrones and you could guess which I did more of.

Going to sleep that night when I had just been in his arms was so weird I kind of felt as if I needed him. He felt warm and familiar. He felt solid and safe, I wanted nothing more than to cling to his shirt, bury my face into the warm curve of his neck, and never let go of him.

"So, Eden." Truman said after a few minutes of silence, well except for the slight, soft tapping of Blaire's nails on the desk and the soft murmurs of other students around us, "Whereabouts in Pennsylvania are you from?"

Again, with the random questions?

"Didn't you say I was Green shadow?" Blaire piped up.

I rolled my eyes at her as I got ready to correct her, "Green Meadow, it's a small town you probably wouldn't know of it."