55 ➳ I Would Punch Hale

RUNNING

FOR MILES

"I love it here." I breathed out as I let the warm sun soak into my black, strapless bikini as I laid on the beach next to my best friend Lila Hayes who was dressed in a peach-colored bikini that also had small dark pink flowers all over it.

Hale, Lila, Lakyn, and I all sat on the beach, all of us seated on our own towels. After heading out for lunch earlier this afternoon, we decided on a smoothie place near our little beach house that they had rented out for the weekend and well Monday which I soon found out.

When they had told me the news that we were going to skip Monday and only leave the beautiful place that afternoon or whenever that day I couldn't help but feel ecstatic and nervous as hat meant I would still have to ruin my friendship and relationships the next day.

We arrived home shortly after, then we all hurried into the house and got changed out of our clothes and into some more beach appropriate clothing as it was unbelievably hot, hotter than it is in Dayton Lakes as we were all sweating uncontrollably.

"I wish we could stay here forever." I breathed out again before Lila could utter as a word from beside me, "Change our names, run away. God, that'd be a dream."

Lila turned to face me, using her pale hand, that was now lathered in sunscreen due to Lakyn rubbing it into her pale skin, to shield her eyes from the sun. "To run away?" she repeated as I nodded. "It would be a dream, wouldn't it?"

I hummed in agreement as I nodded my head excitedly, "You get to do that. Soon you will be on a plane, traveling three-thousand miles away from here." I reminded her as I wished that it were me going with her as I am no longer safe in Dayton Lakes.

"Don't remind me." Lila grumbled, switching over so that she was now laying on her stomach so that she could tan evenly.

Deciding that my stomach was probably starting to get slightly burnt so I followed Lila and rolled over and onto my back so that I also could tan evenly. I rested the side of my face on my arm so that Lila and I were looking directly at each other.

"You don't sound excited." I pointed out to her as if it were me, I would be so excited.

I would be excited that I got into the school of my dreams. I would be excited as I knew that what I was studying would most likely result in me getting my dream job.

But the sad truth is that I seriously don't know what I am going to do once I leave school. All I know is that I'm going to be dragged away from Dayton Lakes and back to Pennsylvania.

It also makes me sad because I am now also leaving Lakyn behind, at Dayton Lakes where he will be alone, completely and utterly alone. If only I wasn't going to be ripped away from this place, I would still be able to go to Castleton University. Then I would still be able to live in Dayton and keep Lakyn company.

I'm sure he will be fine by himself but I still feel horrible as at this stage everyone thinks that I will be staying here where I will be able to be with Lakyn, who probably doesn't need me to keep him company but more so him keep me company.

A few weeks ago, I couldn't get the thought of both Hale and Lila leaving out of my head, I couldn't bare the thought being without them as I've never cared so deeply about people like that in my life, Lakyn as well even though he's mean.

But now my thoughts seem to be consumed by me leaving, leaving everyone I care about to be with someone I hate, someone I am petrified of.

Lila shook her head. "I am excited." She retorted. "Just... Lakyn. He doesn't want me to go--I mean, he does. He just has mixed emotions."