Chapter 26 A New Beginning The Path of the Lone Avenger

Sasuke reflected on his purpose, his nindo and everything else since that dreaded night. He was conflicted to be sure even more than in canon thanks to Kakashi and Mina taking him in; his pseudo relationship with Sakura and of course his brotherhood with Naruto. However, that didn't change the fact that without power bonds was meaningless. He stayed in the village, grew with Team 7, and where did it get him in the end? Almost nowhere if anything he stagnated to the point that a loser like Naruto was able to close the gap. Sasuke hated to admit it but the village was holding him back. This was a path the others can't follow this was something that he had to do. And so with a heavy heart, Sasuke chose to desert the village hidden in the leaves.

On his way out, everything plays out similar to in canon with Sakura's confession and offering to go rouge with him; however as we all know he declines and knocks Sakura unconscious. Unbeknownst to either of them, Root agents were observing Sasuke waiting for his final decision as per Lord Danzo's orders. The then rendezvous at the root secret hideout to converse to their master. "I see. Keep Lady Hokage out of the loop for know as we have more pressing concerns. You see Orochimaru planned this out well and not only reassigned his sound four for this task but recruited a Konoha prisoner escapee. We'll use Iruka as bait while Haku will lead Team Yamato to confront Mizuki at the location Tsubaki disclosed", Danzo debriefed. "Lord Danzo there's still the concern of Orochimaru seizing the Uchiha power", a root agent notioned. "That is of little concern; besides Orochimaru was always too ambitious for his own good. He's reckoning will be at the forge of his greatest weapon. Rather poetic don't you think?", Danzo replied. "However a single member of this sound four will be a well resource of intel", Homura entailed. "We'll let the conflict play out and salvage what we can. As long as we secure at least one of them alive", Koharu suggested.

Meanwhile, Orochimaru in a new body to hold him over and covered in bandages conversed with Kabuto regarding Sasuke's inevitable arrival. "Perhaps the sound four and that fool Mizuki would not be enough", Kabuto inquired. "Have faith Kabuto. Mizuki maybe a glory hound with an inferiority complex but in the end he'll serve his purpose. Not to mention, I took the liberty to enhance a corpse clone with Kimimaro's cells and convert it to an exact duplicate. I still have use for the original", Orochimaru regaled. Kabuto nodded as the clone Kimimaro set out to complete its purpose. Nonetheless everything has lead to this moment, and this time Orochimaru has seemingly won. Can the Konoha 11 and Team Yamato save Sasuke from his own vengeful pride?!!!

The Sasuke Retrieval Arc Begins

Next Time:

Chapter 27

The Prodigal Uchiha gone Rogue

Shikamaru's First Leading Mission