Chapter 27 The Prodigal Uchiha gone Rogue Shikamaru's First Leading Mission

Upon hearing the news of Sasuke's desertion Tsunade summons Shikamaru to specialize a special team to get Sasuke back. Usually desertion leads to the branding of a rogue ninja or execution. However, Sasuke's a misguided soul that's purely being manipulated; not to mention Lady Tsunade refuses to let such an asset be bound to the likes of Orochimaru. Shikamaru has thirty minutes to leave the village so he begins to form his squad. The Nara clan's first choice would be of course the main character Naruto. Shikamaru knocks on the door expecting Naruto to be in his pajamas like an idiot. However, its Hinata that's answer the door wearing Naruto's alternate jumpsuit. "...Hinata what are you doing here?", Shikamaru asked puzzled. "W-W-Well Naruto and I were at Ichiraku's last night and it was late and...and...aaaaaaaaaaarh!!!", Hinata cried flustered.  Naruto stumbled off the bed from the scream. Fearing the worst, Naruto dashed to the door to check on Hinata. "What going on?!!! I heard screaming. Hinata what's wrong?", Naruto panicked being woken up. "I had a feeling Master Jiraya was gonna rub off on you sooner or later", Shikamaru cringed. "Now hold on you know!!! Lord Hiashi would kill me if I even tried something like that before the ceremony and second what's so important", Naruto retorted. "Sasuke's deserted the village and Lady Hokage's asked me to put a team together", Shikamaru explained. Naruto was shocked to hear this and he never thought Sasuke would go this far especially hurting Sakura and Mina. "That prideful fool", Naruto snarled to himself. Naruto tried to play it off by saying that he was getting dressed but even the shy and timid Hinata could see the cracks underneath. "Hinata I think you should stay here", Shikamaru stated. Shikamaru then notioned that Naruto's angry enough as it is and with that anger the influence of the nine-tails power. "If anything were to happen to you, he'd go ballistic. So for both your sakes sit this one out", Shikamaru reasoned. Hinata knew there was truth to Shikamaru's words even if he does think they did something so intimate; regardless she can't be the damsel forever. Hinata chose this the moment she made being by his side and never giving up her nindo her ninja way. "N-No I'm going too and if don't like it then go to Hell!!!", Hinata retorted. Shikamaru was slightly dumbfounded but clearly saw the Will of Fire in Hinata's eyes. "Alright but we're got a few more recruits and a small time table so tell your fiancée to hurry up", Shikamaru smirked. Hinata flustered blushingly assisted Naruto. 

Meanwhile, Tsunade was putting a team together to secure intel in case rescuing Sasuke fails. She suspected that Danzo and the elders had their own agenda on the matter. As such the Hidden Sand village still owned Konoha a debt of reconciliation so Lady Fifth was going to use it to commission Team Baki (Gaara's team) to assist Shikamaru's team in case they get overwhelmed. Nothing is guaranteed in the battlefield and Shikamaru's arrogance was only going to make things worse. However it'll still take time for Gaara's team to arrive within the surrounding region to assist. "And that's why I've called upon you three. Despite leading and protecting the village is an united effort, I don't trust Danzo to salvage this operation and preserve critical intel for himself.  However, without solid evidence I nor the council can expose him. So for now keeping the others alive is your top priority", Lady Tsunade briefed. "Understood Lady Hokage!!!", Team Dosu replied. Dosu, Zaku, and Kin then set out to not only assist their comrades, but to settle the score as well.

Shikamaru, Naruto and Hinata set out to recruit Choji, Kiba, and Neji like in canon; however, Neji has a bit of a detest towards Hinata coming along but Hinata stands her ground and refuses to stay behind. Hinata wants to make sure Naruto's safe during this mission but also feels remorse for spouting that Sasuke didn't care for her. She had no right to badmouth and in an indirect way she's paying the price for it.  We then get Sakura's plea to bring Sasuke home only this time its applied to both Naruto and Hinata in the conversation. Naruto then places a sealing tag and to the best of his ability tells Hinata how to cast the basic teleportation for the Flying Thunder God and the reverse sign to come to him. "S-Shouldn't we place tags on everyone Naruto?", Hinata asked. "That won't be necessary Lady Hinata for you see splitting the sound 4 into one-on-one engagement is the best course of action. Therefore the best course of action is plot ahead and continue the line to reach Sasuke rather than wasting time to jump each combatant", Neji bequifed. Naruto snarled a bit knowing that reality of the situation but he didn't want someone else to say it; least of all his future cousin-in-law. "You're gonna marry her soon enough when we survive this so you might as well kiss her", Kiba quipped teasingly. Kiba then received a rather justified punch to the face by a tear-stricken Sakura. Kiba snarled in retort but Naruto and the others didn't say anything as they began to head towards the village gate. 

Simultaneously, Iruka,  Haku, Sai, and Mina set out as assigned to rendezvous with Tsubaki for debriefing Mizuki and his escape. Iruka's mission during the Tsunade rescue arc awhile back was to scout any key routes in case of a prison break; basic reconnaissance if you will. "I never thought I would have to apply it so soon and at a time like this no less", Iruka thought.  "Remember no matter how bad the obstacle gets our main mission is too fight off Mizuki and hopefully claim intel regarding the Sound Four", Sai strategized. "Regardless of the mission we don't abandon our comrades", Mina replied. She summoned several shadow clones to cover key routes to stand by if the need to assist arises. Its one thing to test rising ninja but the odds stacked against them are near-suicidal. Mina puts on a good front but without Kakashi along to comfort her, she's an internal wreck since the Uchiha was the closet thing she's had to a son and maternal instincts are taking its toll. No more words are spoken as they make their route. 

With that the Konoha 6 Naruto, Hinata, Neji, Choji, Kiba, and Shikamaru set out to save their friend from the darkness. The battle begins 

Next Time:

Chapter 28

The Dark Quest Begins

Our True Selves At Death's Door