Chapter 40 The Three Year Training Begins The Konoha Eleven Matures

Three months have come and gone since Sasuke's desertion and Naruto and his allies in this timeline, must train intensely to bring their friend home but defeat the dreaded Akatsuki who are targeting and siphoning the power of the tailed beasts. On their last day in the village, Team Kurenai spend the day with their sensei reflecting on their short year together as well as humoring Kiba's bolstering. Meanwhile, Naruto meets up with Lady Tsunade and makes a request of her. Sakura upon hearing it is rather confused by the notion but the Hokage agrees to give it some thought. Naruto smiles his knuckleheaded smile and storms off. "Zabuza leading a squad huh?", Tsunade thought.

Jiraya meanwhile, pays a visit to the copy ninja and his pregnant maiden. Mina just snarls at the Pervy Sage though its mostly the hormones talking. "I just wanted to congratulate you two in advance be sure to name it after me will ya?", Jiraiya mused. Mina was not so amused, " Like we would name our child after a good for nothing pervert!!!" Kakashi sighed as he apologized on his wife's behalf. Jiraiya nodded well understanding where Mina was coming from; He then reflected about his love for Tsunade and for Kakashi not to ruin it by being set in his ways. "To be fair Lord Jiraiya I spent fifteen years doing just that", Kakashi commented. "And with Lady Tsunade you never had a chance to begin with", Mina quipped. "she really hates me doesn't she?", Jiraiya pondered. "Hehehe she's just in a bad mood today", Kakashi replied. Jiraiya and Kakashi then reflect on both Naruto and Minato as well as the current renditions of Make Out Paradise.
Naruto was sparring with Zabuza since this will be their last training session for awhile. Naruto was going through the usual drills as well as learning the water clone to better diversify his fighting style. Eventually the knucklehead has a misstep which allows Zabuza to strike with the Executioner's blade which Naruto counters with his Wind Rasengan. This is the same rasengan that was a precursor to the Rasenshuriken in canon. Naruto learns to utilize it earlier in this timeline. When the dust settles Zabuza congratulates Naruto and bestows Naruto a present for his hard work and continued training. "Are you finally letting me wield the Executioner's blade Master Zabuza?!!!", Naruto exclaimed. Zabuza smirked at the foolish notion. "Oh hell no kid you're way too behind for something like that. Besides you rely on the fox way too much. You need to learn and grow your own power. I may be new to the Hidden Leaf but even I know that comrades should be assistance not a crutch. Just open your damn present!!!", Zabuza howled. Naruto whined to himself as he then opened the scroll to reveal a signature blade freshly carved by Zabuza and Tenten. However, despite its remarkable craftsmanship it's no Executioner's blade. And more importantly, "aaaaaargh!!! This damn thing weighs a ton you know!!!", Naruto promised in strained agony. The demon of the leafy mist laughs at Naruto's struggle. "That blade is more than a present; it's you're training from me. If you can't handle that little thing then you have no right trying to seize the executioner's blade from me", Zabuza replied. Naruto snarled profusely but was determined nonetheless.
Haku alongside a pregnant Anko and Kin observe the training session and although Zabuza is still considered a hard ass, he's come along way since Gato and the Great Naruto Bridge.  Naruto continues to struggle until he discovers that he can use Shadow clones to split the workload. He then summons a clone to assist in lifting and channeling his chakra and maintaining control and form while the original preserves a steady grip. He then recalls the small kenjutsu training he had received by the Demon of the mist. "Hey I'm starting to get the hand of this you know?", Naruto excites. "Heh not bad kid. You can hold a hilt. Let's see how long you can hold a grip", Zabuza replied as he signaled Zaku and Dosu to unleash a barrage of Wind style jutsu at Naruto as he's trying to wield the blade. The knucklehead struggles for a bit before eventually, "Hidden Mist Jutsu", Naruto casted as he slowly vanished from sight. This didn't fool the former sound duo however, as the synced their attacks to bombard every flank the clones would here to. Unfortunately the clones were in fact decoys for Naruto was using the clones to switch he blade among the clones channeling chakra continuously until it eventually returns to the original for one sided blind-sighting attack,"Naruto Style, Demon Cyclone!!!", Naruto roared as the channeled blade was sheathed with Wind chakra and mimicking Zabuza stealth technique slashes the blade unleashing an explosive tornado slash to Dosu and Zaku dead on. The windstorm could be felt and seen all through the village as the leaves were dangerous scattered about; almost to the point of piercing skin on contact. Fortunate Dosu and Zaku were hit with the back of the blade so it wasn't a killin blowout; though Zabuza is impressed by the attacks potential, even if the knucklehead did copy him. Zabuza then advised Naruto to not get cocky and he must rise to the next challenge if he hopes to live as a shinobi let alone become Hokage. Naruto takes this to heart and heads over to Ichiraku Ramen before returning to his apartment to rest before Team Jiraiya departed the following morning.
After the training session, Zabuza and Haku head over to Asuma while he's training the Inoshikacho trio. Shikamaru has already been promoted but that's no excuse to get soft, not to mention Zabuza wants to settle the score with Kisame so he asks for some advanced training as well. Kakashi later gets wind of this and while Haku, Sai, and the trio train, they'll take time sparring and teaching each other. Zabuza builds up his physique with some physical and taijutsu training on top of learning a second Earth chakra nature by the end of the timeskip. This also encourages Kakashi and Might guy to train even harder than in canon which later enhances Lee when he's not sparring with Mina or Neji. Zabuza slowly learns the chakra blades technique during this time as well which will make his fighting more versatile. Not only did the demon have a vendetta but a family to protect as well with Anko about to pop in a few months. From here everyone's training is relatively the same outside of increased power scaling compared to canon. Sai and Ino's relationship further blossoms, Shikamaru and Zaku have a genius vs dumbass rivalry which better motivates the both of them to take down the other and spar semi regularly. Dosu is aloof and distant but not above getting stronger and he and Choi develop a healthy rivalry as well. Dosu also assists Choji with his confidence and women when the situation arises. Kin considers retiring from the shinobi lifestyle but continues the life a little longer to secure a future with Haku first; but what could that mean?

Later that evening, everyone gathers at Ichiraku ramen to celebrate everything the rookie 8 have achieved, reflect on their failure, and motivate each other to get stronger. Sakura feels a little bit lonely but is comforted by Rock Lee being a bit more sensitive and cordial rather than his usually loud self.  Everyone enjoys the night and the next day Team Jiraiya set forth to continue their training, save Sasuke, and defeat the Akatsuki.
The Story continues in...

Naruto Shippuden
Kakashi x Mina Sequel.

Look for it @JarrettHeath