~*Chapter 4*~

~Remi~

5 years! 5 years and I was finally walking out of this god forsaken place. I couldn't wait for the gates to open so I could breathe my first breath of free air. Hell, at this point I don't even care if its full of smog and shit, cause it's better than smelling that funky ass jail cell. I'll take her Keisha said reliving the other guard from his duty of walking me out. Be my guest he said rolling his eyes at me. I continued to pack up the remainder of my stuff.

You made it out! Yeah, I did, unanimous vote to let me out. Parole for a year and a group home for 6 months but after that I am free. Yeah you are she said smiling at me. Where you going to stay since your dad left. She found me a group home, basically I can come and go as I please as long as I get a job and report to my parole officer, I am good. Wow so she didn't offer you to stay with her in that big ass mansion she has. She offered but I am not going down that road with her. Why not she's your mother. No, she's just a surrogate, the mother I knew left me when I was 11 years old. She's selfish and has ulterior motives and I won't play into it. Remi you can't really think that. I mean yeah, she fucked up when she left, but she came back and she got you out of prison, there is no way she is that selfish. So maybe she's not selfish, but what was her ulterior motive behind it I said looking at her, knowing damn well she couldn't answer the question. Everyone always tried to make it seem like we were wrong for harboring these feelings for her, but what did they expect she left us. I had no intentions of kissing her ass, but for the sake staying out of this hell hole I planned to play it cordial at least till the ink was dry on my parole paperwork and then I am on the first think smoking out of Philadelphia and I won't be looking back either.

Once I was finished packing up all of my stuff Keisha escorted me to the gates, we had a few brief minutes alone while waiting for the exterior gate to open. Listen Remi I am sorry, I had no right to tell you how to feel about your mother because I've never been in your situation. I want you to know that I love you and that I am always here for you. If you need anything you know the address and the phone number. Thank you for looking out for me Keisha, if it wasn't for you, I don't think I'd made in here. No problem we family she said giving me a brief hug before the gate opened to the outside of the prison. Sure, enough there she was waiting for me. Remi just try if it doesn't work out, bury it and get the hell up out of Philly she said giving me a look. I nodded and walked freely out of the prison towards her car.

Oluremi I am so happy to see you baby she said approaching me. I sucked in the warm Philadelphia air and plastered on a fake smile. Mom! I said as she hugged me tightly. I am so happy you're out baby. I rolled my eyes and looked the BMW she was driving. Nice car I said looking at it. You like it, it was a gift from my husband. Husband! Yeah, she said not making eye contact with me. I came to personally drive you to the group home. You didn't have to do that; I could have taken the bus. No, No, she said shaking her head, not while I am here to help you. And why are you helping me? Huh she said looking at me. I said why are you helping me, you walked out of my life 13 years ago and didn't look back, but now you popped up ready and able to help me and I am curious as to why you showed up now. You wouldn't understand if I explained it to you. Try me, I said matching her gaze. She looked at her watch, you have a few hours before you have to be at the group home why don't we grab something to eat. I took in what Keisha said to me before I left, I looked back at the prison and walked towards her car.

Despite what I'd just said to her she was still happy to have me with her. She practically talked all the way to the damn restaurant. Really, I said looking at the restaurant. I know its favorite and I just thought...I haven't been to Lorenzo & Sons in years I blurted out. I knew it was your favorite place to eat when you were little. I can't wait to have a Philly cheese steak I said as my mouth watered just thinking about it. I knew you would want to eat here she said parking the car. Soon as we went in the restaurant it took me right back to when I was younger and my dad would bring me and Dani here on Saturday nights. Order what you want she said giving me a small smile. We ordered our food and went to a table to wait for them to bring them to us. You didn't have to bring me here to butter me up. I am not buttering you up, you need to eat and I felt like we needed to talk. Talk! Yes, about something other than your case. We have a lot of stuff we need to discuss and I know I am 13 years too late, but I feel like if you knew my truth you would understand why I really left. Well I am here and we have time explain I said looking at her.