~*Chapter 14*~

~Shai~

"How are you feeling this week? This week is better than weeks before, I am adjusting to the medication and the routine. That's great, I knew we'd find a good balance between the two. Thank you for understanding that, I just don't want to repeat the cycle of addiction you know. I completely understand and I am happy that you are taking your mental health seriously. It's ok to talk to someone and it's okay to take medication if you need it. I know it's just in...black communities talking to a psychiatrist isn't to common."

I was at my biweekly counseling session to regulate my medication and talk with my counselor. I've been seeing a counselor since we got here because I didn't want to go back down that road again. I had more to live for and that more requires food, clothing, and my attention all the time. Quentin is thriving in this atmosphere; with all the attention he can handle. I know he misses my mom, but this was definitely the best decision for both of us. I have Remi to thank for that as well. She was waiting for me to finish with my counseling session so we could go pick up Jade and the kids to meet her father and sister for dinner. We've become like a traditional family dinner on Thursday nights before she goes to work because we know on the weekend, we'll all be busy.

"See you in two weeks! Yup two weeks!"

You done! Yup I just have to pick up my medication later. They adjusted it again? He lowered it a little bit, I don't want to become addicted to it. Are you going to be okay with that? Yeah, I am the one requesting it and I know how to handle myself now. You've come a long way since I've met you! I have really. You know he'd be proud of you, going back to school, taking care of yall's son. You doing the damn thang girl. Thank you! I am trying! Well you doing a good job. Where we having dinner tonight? Some steak restaurant I think, daddy invited Pauline and her sons to come along with us. Oh, really did he now? Yeah, he did! How you feel about that? About what? It's obvious he likes her, and the way they going you may be getting a step mother and some step siblings. Girl please, I know my daddy, he's not ready for marriage again. I don't know Remi; I've seen the way they interact and its seeming to me like he's falling and hard at that. You think so? Just pay attention at dinner and tell me if you don't see it.

We picked up Jade and the kids before going to the restaurant. Just like I told Remi, her father is love but she's trying to ignore it. When we walked in to the restaurant it was very apparent that the two of them are into each other. Friends huh! I looked at Remi and she was just looking at them. You good? I am fine she said walking over to the table where everyone else was. Let me guess she didn't realize they were that close. Nope she didn't. What you think is gonna happen if they get together. What you mean? I mean if they get married where will that leave us? With Remi still. Come on Shai you know her and Lisa. Not too sure about that Jade, they ain't on the same page like we think. Really, I could have sworn they were. Nope I think they still got trust issues to deal with. Well at least it'll still be us together she said laughing as we walked over to the table.

I watched Remi watch her father and Pauline the whole dinner and I could tell that she wasn't feeling their relationship at all. After dinner she asked if we could just drop her off at work early so, we wouldn't have to come back out. She wasn't good at hiding her emotions and it was written all over her face that she wasn't happy about it. Remi! Yeah! You okay? I am fine why? You got me dropping you off at work 3 hours early. I got some stuff to handle at work that's all. No, you don't, you irritated by the fact that he's gotten close to her. All the years that he's been single, never dated and now...Now he's raised his kids Remi, he just wants to be happy. Why her though? Why not her? You on his side? I am on yours but you always told me that you wanted your father to be happy with someone who loves him. Why can't it be her? She put her head against the seat and looked out the window.