Ace Frehley #10

"We should take a road trip," Ace suggested, raising his hands to his head. You glanced at him quickly, then set your eyes on the dark road in front of you.

"Road trip, huh?" you asked.

"Mmm-hmm. You and me."

You thought for a moment, then sighed. "Ace, why am I taking you home again?"

"My car is at the shop. Remember? It needed to be fixed."

"Oh, right. And when you're not using a taxi, I drive you places, right?"

"Y/N, this is the first time you've driven me somewhere. I'm not going to ask for your careful driving skills everyday."

"Careful driving skills?"

He chuckled. "It's a joke."

You shook your head. "Oh, Ace."

"That's me."

For the next several minutes, you drove in silence. Ace would've talked more but you were so busy focusing on the road that he didn't want to bother you. Not like he would bother you. To you, his presence was nice. Good. Comforting. You liked being around him but he didn't know that. Was it because you didn't show it? Who knows. But Ace did know one thing.

He was in love with you.

Your presence always had an affect on him, no matter where you two were. And even though he liked having you around, it frustrated him. Why? Because he was falling for you. Hard.

But you were Paul's girl.

Or at least that's what it looked like. You were always with Paul. Talking. Laughing. One time you offered to do his makeup and Paul said yes. So Ace sat there, doing his own makeup while listening to you both laugh and whatnot. The two of you even kissed. At one point it became too much that Ace had to leave the room.

He had fallen so much in love with you. But you didn't know that and you probably never will. Too oblivious. You also viewed him as a friend.

Talk about unrequited love.

"Ace? We're here." Your voice interrupted his thoughts. He looked out the windshield, realizing that you were, indeed, at his house.

The guitarist gave you a smile. "Thanks, Y/N."

You returned it. "Anytime."

But Ace didn't make an effort to get out of the car. Instead he sat there in the passenger seat, watching as you grab your purse and take out a notepad to write something down. When you finished, you looked up, startled to see him.

"You're still here," you said.

"Yeah." Ace smiled. "I think I'll go now. But . . . do you want to come in for a minute?"

The words came right out of his mouth. He didn't even think about the question - it just occurred to him at the last minute. Nevertheless you grinned. "Sure."

Both of you got out of the car and headed toward the front door. Ace unlocked it, letting you go in first before he did.

"It's nice," you commented after stepping in. You've never been to his house before.

"Thank you," he said.

A long conversation had taken place afterwards. It meant only one thing: you ended up staying at Ace's a lot longer than you intended. So when you finally glanced at the clock, you were surprised by the time.

"Oh, wow. It's getting late." You got up. "I should get going. And you should probably get some sleep."

"You're right," Ace said, scratching his head. "I probably should."

You smiled. "Walk me to the door?"

But after reaching the door, neither of you moved, just stared at each other. Ace took the time to look at you, noticing how beautiful you truly are. And at that moment he had the urge to kiss you, though he didn't.

You were with Paul.

"I should go," you mumbled, looking at Ace. Again you didn't move. Why? That was unknown. For some reason you were frozen in place, unable to do anything but look at the lead guitarist of KISS. His name was Ace Frehley, who never failed to make you laugh and smile.

Ace Frehley, who always brightened your day without knowing.

Ace Frehley, the member of a band you have grown to love.

You moved forward and kissed him.

The guitarist was surprised by the sudden feeling of your lips against his. He always wondered what it would be like to kiss and hold you, sure, but he didn't think the time would come so quickly. Now it was actually happening.

Ace wanted to kiss you so bad.

But he couldn't.

You were Paul's girlfriend.

And it was wrong.

He broke the kiss. "Y/N, no, we can't."

"Why not?" you asked, furrowing your brow.

"You're with Paul."

"Paul?" You thought for a second. "Paul and I . . . I mean, we're not . . ."

"Together?" Ace guessed.

You nodded. "We're not together, Ace. We never were."

That was new. Ace didn't expect that nor did he know about it. You and Paul were always around each other. Talking. Laughing. Flirting. Holding hands. And that kiss. So how could you be friends when all that happened?

"I don't understand," Ace spoke. It was true. He didn't understand. At all. "You're always together. You even kissed one time during our recent tour."

You shook your head. "It was only that one time. Paul kissed me. But I don't have feelings for him. I have feelings for you."

He blinked, trying to comprehend what you just said. "Me?"

"Yeah, I . . . I'm in love you, Ace." You swallowed, averting his gaze. "I told Paul that night. And he was okay with it. But we're just friends. Nothing more than that."

"Just friends?" Ace asked.

"Just friends." You took one of his hands, intertwining your fingers with his. "But I love you. I really do."

You then reached up to kiss him again. This time he returned it, closing his eyes and enjoying the kiss. He pulled your body closer to his, letting you wrap your arms around his neck as the soft kiss continued.

"Y/N," he whispered when it finally ended. "You don't know how happy I am right now."

"Actually I think I do," you said, pecking his lips. "I'm happy, too."

"But I've been in love with you for so long. It hurt thinking you and Paul were together. It hurt so much."

"We're not together, Ace," you reminded him. "Paul had feelings for me, yes, but I didn't like him in that way. I told him that. And so now we're just friends. We're not together."

Not together.

Ace went for another kiss. This time it was longer and it left you both breathless. He held you close to him, both of you swaying from side to side. "I'm happy, Y/N."

"Me, too," you said softly.