//Goodbyes//

I stared in awe at the bright sun that shone down on us as we reached the edge of the forest. Not going to lie, I was not looking forward to the long walk to the shelter, but its not like I could do anything about it. Perhaps if I found the underground entrance as soon as we arrived in B06-32 I could cut the time down... 

"Noooo Mujika! I don't want to say goodbye!" Sure enough, all of the kids were sad about the departure. And although I didn't want to admit it either, I was feeling the hit of goodbye strongly as well. 

I watched as everyone hovered around Mujika and turned to Sonju. He was looking down at me expectantly and I gulped the rising frog in my throat down. "Well..." I began, scratching my head awkwardly. 

"Here." I heard from up above, feeling a tap on my head. I reached up and grabbed the thing that Sonju had placed there, pulling it down and inspecting it. It was a small dagger, cleanly cut and sharpened. It was much smaller than the ones that Sonju had let me use for practice. I looked up at him once again in question and he sighed. He knelt down and took my hands in his own.

"See?" He said, placing the knife in the middle of my outstretched finger. It stayed there without tipping and I gasped.

"It's a throwing knife!" I said, tossing the knife in the air and catching the handle. 

"Correct." The red-haired demon said, standing up. "I've been working on it for a few days now. It should suit the other knife you have well."  He said, gesturing for me to pull it out. "To block a much larger blade with much less resistance, you'll need to cross the blades, like so." He continued, showing me the same with his own hunting daggers he used. "I've never used this technique before- its a human technique that the old ancestors used. Those warriors were fell feared by demons and skilled in blade work." He finished the demonstration, then gesturing for me to do the same. 

I planted my right food back and raised the two daggers, crossing them at the blade. Sonju suddenly swung at me with his own dagger, clanging against my blades. I let out a small groan under the weight until he released, placing his dagger back into his belt.

"See the blade?" He asked, pointing to my daggers which were still raised above my head. I did as he said and inspected the one that blocked the blade, expecting a large chip in them, and finding none. "The small one is the hardest mineral substance we demons know how to use. It should withstand many strikes directed at it before needing to be sharpened..." He finished, now out of things to tell me. 

We stood in silence when an unexpected presence showed up beside me. "Y/N?" Mujika began. "I'd like to speak to you..." She said, looking between Sonju and I.  

"O-oh! Yeah, of course!" I answered quickly, before turning towards Sonju for my final goodbye. The demon man stood towering over me, looking scary in every way, manner, and form. But deep down inside, he must be a real softie. In this universe, at least. 

I hesitated for a moment, before wrapping my arms around the big guy. Perhaps he hadn't intended to, or perhaps he hadn't realized it himself, but we were close now. And there was nothing he could do about it. "Thanks, Sonju." In his own way, he was trying to keep me safe by teaching me how to use the daggers and how to fight. And I was forever grateful to him for that. 

Sonju stood shocked for a moment before he reached down a hesitant hand and patted my back- awkwardly at first, but then he got comfortable and nestled into the hug himself.

I backed away and quickly wiped a tear, sniffling all of my feelings back inside. "See you, Sonju." I waved before walking over to Mujika. 

"See you, kid."

-----

'What?!' 

I stared wide-eyed at Mujika as she pressed the amulet into my hands. This isn't supposed to happen! It's supposed to be Emma, not me!!