//The Wait//

I wasn't actually going to write this part but y'all made so many headcanons for it that I couldn't resist. So yes, this chap is... technically filler while I struggle through writers block? But yeah.

(brought to you by my iphone6s)

———

Ray had never been very good with emotions.

It didn't take long for them to notice something was very wrong.

It was late on November 15th— to the point it was getting into the A.M. The library was becoming something of a camp-ground at this point; all the guest rooms in the castle were being used by demonfolk who had lost their homes, so the fairly-heated library was the best alternative for the humans.

Now blankets were strewn across the floor, and a platter of empty tea cups rested on a nearby table. Everyone was spread throughout the area; some sat awake on the couches, others at desks, and some browsed the library for a lack of a better way to spend their time.

From an outsiders' perspective, it would appear they were wasting time, perhaps, but when you stayed a few minutes you would feel the tense air in the room work its way into your gut, and you'd realize that they were all waiting.

Though, to this waiting, there was an indefinite and uncertain air that only added to the heavy mood –as if they themselves didn't know what they were waiting for, or rather; how long they'd be waiting for.

It was only 3 days in to this uncertain waiting now and already everyone was itching for action. Alas, none of them knew where to start, and were eventually lectured about "trust" by one of the few non-humans in the area.

Of course, the humans knew well that rather than trust, it was a blind faith at this point. "I'll be back," Y/N had apparently said, but she had said something similar before, several times, even, only for it to turn out a lie. Thus the weariness, the uncertainty; waiting out of fear that it wasn't a lie this time, "just in case," hoping that she made it back to them alive and well while knowing that if she wasn't okay there was nothing they could do about it.

With each passing minute, the uncertainty only grew bigger, as the numerous worries settled in the deep of their guts until they formed a stone, heavy and cold, always present; a constant reminder that left them unable to rest.

Which brings us to now, rather, nearly 1:00 am on November the 16th, 2049. Mujika came into the library to collect the old tea cups and replenish them; she had been busy nearly all day–Sonju, too, helping with political things, but visited whenever she was able to check up on the human companions.

By now, a few of them settled for bed; Zack was snoozing on a couch already, while Poppy and Hannah started to doze together, swaddled in a blanket and sitting on the floor. Yuugo leaned against a far wall, glancing out of a window between sips of now cold tea. Emma and Norman exchanged quiet words at another one of the couches, and Ray sat on an armchair, a stack of books ever growing on the small table beside him.

They looked up as Mujika entered, Emma with a polite wave and a smile, Zack with a half-assed salute, apparently conscious as he righted himself on the couch. "How is everyone?" Mujika asked, gathering teacups onto the platter, careful to make little noise. There were a few shrugs in response and a grunt of assent from Yuugo. 

"We're alright." Emma soon answered with a small, thankful smile.

"Yeah." Norman agreed with a polite nod– he was still a little timid around the demon queen, after his previous exploits, despite Mujika's keen forgiveness.