//Raiders//

This chapter name gives me whiplash bc my school mascot is "raiders" and y'know. Herbert Benson. 

I give no f**ks. 

Also I am substituting dollars for whatever the demon currency is. Sue me. 

-----

There are a lot of reasons you can be tied to a tree. 

But being held captive while a bunch of bloodthirsty warriors try to figure out what to do with you is not my favourite, not going to lie. 

See, it all began when Cozbi and I made some fun out of terrorizing this group of bandit-demons that raided and pillaged in their free time.

It was just a few "practical jokes" here and there- setting fire to their tents and releasing any captives they had, directing wild demon stampedes towards their campsite, having Benny play their wooden flute-like instrument through the entire night, which essentially created a droning noise that was just loud enough to be heard, but too quiet to identify it's source- the sound of which resembled something between an owl hoot and a wolf howl.

Oh wait, I'm not done. We also stole pieces of armour and set up traps around their campsite using their own materials. Did I mention we set fire to a lot of things?

Don't get me wrong, these guys deserved it. They killed plenty of civilians and set fire to small, helpless villages- after stealing all the food and valuable materials from it, and killing and setting free the people's livestock. Unlike Cozbi had suspected, the demons here weren't former members of her clan- they were just incredibly smelly simple-minded fools, who had nothing better to do than wreak havoc.

Which is essentially the same situation as Cozbi and I. Minus the smelly part, of course. Though I can't say the same for Benny. 

Ok, so maybe we got a little carried away. But when the demons started suspecting that all our mini-raids were the work of a ghost- after coming up empty whenever they searched for the culprit- it was just so hard to leave them alone. 

Now, you may be wondering, how did I go from having the time of my life wreaking chaos to being tied to a tree? That's because something unexpected happened. These thick-skulled warriors smartened up. Okay, that was a lie. They didn't do anything particularly smart- in fact, they did something so stupid I never thought it'd happen. And then Cozbi did something even stupider

Alright. Let's backtrack a little.

It'd been 3 months since Cozbi and I began our mini raids. The demons would split into two groups- a main group and a sentry group, and then go raid other villages for up to 2 weeks while the sentry group stayed behind to watch the camp. During this time, Cozbi and I hosted our own mini-raids frequently, and by night. By the time the main group returned, the sentry group would be exhausted and apparently superstitious. 

Cozbi and I had waited until the main group left for pillaging once again to terrorize the sentry-fresh-meat left behind. Rinse, repeat. Eventually the main group decided to stay behind to figure out who was behind the terrorizing of their poor camp-watchers. We hardly raided the first week, but the week after that, we went completely haywire. By the time 3 weeks had passed, all the demons were constantly tense and exceptionally exhausted. However, they were also incredibly ready for any sign of attack.

So we let them rest for a bit- gave them time relax and start getting careless again. Once the bandits resumed heading out for raids, we resumed the same method of attacks. This continued for several cycles, until that day.

I was walking between Lambda and the village alongside Cozbi- I was planning to send an update letter to Sonju and Mujika. But as we walked, I became increasingly aware of a bout of smoke that rose over the trees in the direction we were heading. Cozbi and I ran the rest of the way to the village, only to find it aflame. Civilians dashed around in a frenzy- putting out fires and trying to recapture livestock that had been set free.