//Talk/&/Sleep//

I recommend rereading //realizations// before reading this one, just for a refresher.

I'm pretty sure this is one of the worst pieces of literature I have ever pulled out of my ass, but it is inevitable, considering that most of it was written during ungodly hours of the night and I can't even take myself seriously once 1:00 am hits.

For the record, it is 4:20 am as I post this. That should tell you a lot.

-----

I hesitated in front of the kitchen door, knowing who lay inside, waiting for me. Ray stood beside me while I collected myself, unquestioning and quiet, his hand still warm in mine. I eventually reached toward the door, and released Ray's hand at the same time. It would be a lie to say I wouldn't miss the comfort he brought, but I knew that I needed to do this without him.

I met everyone's faces; their eyes expecting but not nearly as pressuring as I'd thought they would be. Yuugo was in there now too, and he caught my eye and gave me a subtle reassuring nod.

Mujika rose from a seat she'd taken and grabbed Cozbi gently by the arm to lead her out of the room. Cozbi reluctantly complied, though she gave me a goofy salute as she was pulled away. Before the door closed on her, she did the 'I'm watching you' gesture between herself and the others. I smiled a little at that despite myself, before looking to those waiting patiently.

I noticed that Ray had taken a seat at one of the tables, and I took in a shaky breath. It was odd, to say the least, standing before them this way. I wanted to run away more than a little, but hell if I was going to have to do this all over again.

"So..." My breath caught in my throat a moment as I figured what to say while I had their attention. "I... owe you all an apology," I started off stating the obvious. "I lied about the promise's reward– twice, technically... Really, the reward was that I had to stay behind in the demon world." It was hard to know how much they wanted to hear from me. Hell, everything about this was hard. "There was a condition that all of you had to think I was dead. Either your memories were rewritten to have my death in them, or I had someone convince you all I was dead.

"I know you've probably figured this much already. I just wanted you... to hear it from my own mouth." I took in a shaky breath, and my eyes glanced quickly over everyone in the room. "In all honesty, the last thing I was expecting two months ago was for all of you to show up. I don't know if you noticed from all the, uh, smoke and explosions, but I kind of had... a lot on my plate at the time," I joked, and then cringed at myself. "It's not an excuse. Sorry for running away... –And for coming back like 80% dead–"

"–More like 98%."

I shook my head with a smile and an internal groan. "Thank you for your input, Zack, much obliged. Sure, let's go with 98% dead." My smile faltered. "I know I should have talked things over with you. Since before that, too. Since the very beginning, in fact. For that, I'm also sorry.

"I want to thank you all for coming. So thanks, everyone." I smiled sheepishly, rubbing the back of my neck. "I said I didn't expect it, but it was a nice surprise. I mean, it would have been a bit nicer under slightly different circumstances. ...Man, I am really sorry about that.

"...I don't plan to run anymore. Next time... well, if there is a next time, I will talk things over with everyone. I don't know if I'm worthy of that second chance... well, it doesn't really matter whether I know that or not, because it isn't up to me anyway."

I knew it wasn't; if they said they would give me another chance, that they would forgive me, I would accept that, and try not to question their forgiveness. If they told me they couldn't, they couldn't forgive me, I would accept that too, and I'd try to thank them with a smile.