//Playing Friends//

I have returned. Praise me, mortals.

-More info at end.

-----

"Make sure you're back soon, Y/N!" Carl, the early-thirties demon guard waved after me as I turned to exit through the gate, properly equipped with my mask, cloak, and pack, my smell properly concealed by a herbal ointment Mujika helped me remake, to last longer and conceal my... "delicious"... smell better than the one that the others used to use.

I simply nodded in response, for fear that my voice would fail if I tried to speak. The air outside was warm and humid, this area of the demon world being rather warm in August. My heavily-clothed outfit was suffocating in this heat, but I was far too distracted by my own thoughts to notice.

Sonju was right when he accused me of not thinking of anyone since being left behind. Since the first month, at least. But I hated the feeling it would give me- the ache that spread through my body and the squeezing in my heart. It was disgusting and painful.... so I pushed it aside.

I found other things to focus on. Doing my best to please X. Researching about demon culture. I tried to forget about everything related to them. The half-assed plan I left behind... and the feelings that came with remembering everyone. 'But...' My pace began to slow, many demons flitting around me in the midsummer heat, the marketplace always alive. 'I don't think missing them was the only reason I pushed it aside.'

I stared at the ground, my heart picking up speed as I uncovered the thoughts I'd held concealed. 'I'm not thinking about them... because if I think about them... then I have to consider the possibility that that... was the last time...'

My thoughts were cut off by a figure slamming into me, and I stumbled backwards from the sudden hit momentarily before steadying myself. The demon who ran into me fell roughy onto the ground, apples spilling all over the street, the bustling demons kicking them about.

I knelt to the ground without thinking, and began scooping the bright red fruits up and placing them in the basket as I set it upright, before any more demons could kick them about.

"Thank you." The voice of a young girl spoke frantically as she took the basket from me. "You didn't need to go so far-" She apologized profusely.

"Oh, it's fine." I waved her worries away absent-midedly, grateful for the distraction from my thoughts- and guilty for that.

Although I say "young girl" the demon looked to be around my age- easily older in human years- although she'd certainly lived a lot longer than any normal human's lifespan. "It was my fault too, I wasn't paying attention." I responded quickly, pursing my lips as another demon bumped into my shoulder in their rush.

"Here, I'll buy you lunch in thanks-" They offered up, brushing off her long yellow skirt that swayed around her ankles, and pulling her long blue-haired ponytail off of her shoulder.

"No, I'm okay-" I sweatdropped, but was quickly cut off by the eager demon grabbing hold of my hands.

"I insist!" She exclaimed, releasing one of my hands and dragging me away with the other, her grip showing no sign of loosening as she walked briskly. "Let's go somewhere less busy."

"O-okay??"

I followed the demon as she dragged me through several alleyways, until we arrived at a small beige-bricked- much like all the buildings in demon civilization- fairly-new café, with outdoor seating. "I'll pay." The girl grinned. "you go pick a seat."

I nodded hesitantly before wandering over to a seat on the front of the building, tapping the table with a sigh. "What have I gotten myself into..." I mumbled, quiet enough that none of the demons overheard me. "X did tell me to make friends- or find people to do a sleepover with..., though..."