Ch. 45 Double Yolk

A/N Remember my laptop problem? Well, I just had to buy a new one... RIP my bank account. Anyway, longer chapter for you guys for two reasons. 1) Classes start today and I need to get a feel for them before deciding when I can have free time. 2) I've been wanting to write this chapter for a while. So you better enjoy it lol

~*~*~

As the minutes passed, everyone found themselves busy with their tasks. Mitch and Kirstie were running around, giving people their orders, Todrick was grabbing ingredients when they got low and put food in the window, and Avi was kneeling in a chair, working the stove with the other chefs. The only ones not in a rush were Scott and Kevin.

"It's okay, take as much time as you need." Kevin said to a frustrated Scott.

He had just broken another egg too hard, getting pieces of the shell in the yolks.

"Ugh! Why is this so difficult?!" He groaned, harshly throwing away the leftover shell in the trash and grabbing a paper towel.

"It's always difficult when things don't go the way you want them to." Kevin took the bowl from Scott and, with a mini pair of tongs the kitchen gave him, started taking out the shells that fell in. "That's why you have to keep practicing."

"I just don't know what I'm doing wrong..."

"Well, if I could suggest, I'd say you're doing this backwards," Kevin explained. "Instead of picking a random force and trying to dial back, which is what you've been doing, you should try what you did when you cracked the first egg. Start out as light as you can, and slowly add more strength."

"I don't... like doing that."

"Why not?" He asked, passing the bowl now void of shells to the chefs.

"Because then I know I'm trying not to break something, and it makes my arms and muscles feel weird. Like, one wrong move and I'll shatter whatever I'm holding."

Kevin hummed in thought as he put another bowl in front of Scott.

"Well, as much as you may not like it, I'd still suggest giving it a try. At least with six eggs." He opened another carton and took the eggs out. "Something tells me that feeling comes from a lack of confidence, but if you get used to it, then it won't be so bad."

Scott sighed as he picked up another egg and gave it a try.

"Remember, as light as you can."

He nodded and hesitantly gave the egg a light tap against the table. Taking a deep breath, he continued, very slowly adding more and more force. A solid minute passed and Scott flinched, hearing a crack in the shell. He moved it away from the table and gasped at what he saw.

The egg had a hairline fracture in the shell. Scott showed it to Kevin who applauded him.

"That's great! Do it again, exactly like that." He encouraged with a smile.

Scott nodded and brought the egg back to the edge of the table, before stopping again.

"...I forgot." Scott blurted, and Kevin let out a huff of amusement.

"It's alright. Just start from square one."

Scott took a deep breath and tried again, barely using any force. Another minute passed when he flinched again at the sound of the shell cracking. Now concentrating, he continued until the egg whites started dripping out.

"W-What do I do?!" He asked Kevin in a panicked voice.

"Open it in the bowl!"

Scott quickly brought the egg to the bowl and opened the shell. The egg yolk and whites fell into the bowl, taking a couple shell pieces with them. Kevin looked at the egg in the bowl and smiled at Scott.