Ch. 24 What A Day

(A/N Guess who's back! Back again! Josi's back! Tell a friend! Lol, but I AM BACK [momentarily]!!! In honor of Kevin's wedding yesterday *sobs* and our favorite giraffe's birthday today, I've decided to release this chapter early. I'll start posting more chapters when I'm done writing the one I'm working on right now. Anyway, missed y'all, love y'all. ENJOY!!!)

*Scott's P.O.V*

Another day, another mechanical failure. I was currently sitting atop our nowhere near completed structure, looking out at the city. We had finally gotten a little more than half of the building completed when one of the cranes started malfunctioning and knocked off the top of it. A few of my coworkers and I climbed up and tried to repair the damage the best we could. After an hour or so, we decided to take a break.

Things like that happened sometimes, but they never screwed us over so badly. Getting back all the work we lost would put us behind schedule by at least a few weeks. I sighed as I stared at the horizon. I couldn't stop thinking about those people who spoke to me a few days ago. All of that stuff they said about saving the world? It seemed a little crazy. Not to mention, they said they wanted me to join them.

I don't know the first thing about saving people, let alone the entire world. With my uncontrollable strength, I'd probably end up doing more harm than good. I'm sure with how broken it already is, the world doesn't need someone like me doing any more damage.

One thing I couldn't understand is how confident they were. Apparently that guy... Kenneth...? Hadn't told the others about the whole saving the world thing, and yet they were still ready to put their lives on hold.

How could they do that? Didn't they have families? What if something went wrong and someone ended up getting hurt? Didn't they care about that? Weren't they scared for their lives? What if-

"Hey, Hoying! Mail call, come on down!" My boss shouted through a megaphone, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I sighed. Now was not the time to be thinking like this.

"Be right there!" I called back, standing up.

I looked around for a brief moment, wondering how I was going to get down. An idea struck me and I whistled to one of my coworkers.

"Harris! Could you give me a hand?"

He gave me a thumbs up and started moving the machine he was controlling in my direction. I took a few steps back before running and jumping off the building. I fell several feet until Harris caught me with a steel beam he was lifting. I grabbed hold of it and held on as Harris swung me towards the ground.

When I decided I was close enough, I let go and landed on a tilted board. Using it as a ramp, I slid to the bottom and jumped down just as my boss was turning around.

"Thanks man!" I told Harris with a wave.

He gave a quick nod and went back to working on his part of the building. I looked at my boss as he gave a small chuckle.

"Where did we ever find a guy like you?" He asked, and I rolled my eyes.

"You didn't. I broke in here one day and just started working. No one ever questioned me." I joked back. That got my boss to laugh.

"Oh really? Then I guess since you don't work here I shouldn't have to pay you either."

"It's just a joke."

"Make jokes on your own time, Hoying."

"I'm on my break." I told him with a smirk.

"Alright hotshot, here's your mail." He said, handing me a few envelopes.