Ch. 9 Let's Talk

"Hey, Hoying, help me out over here." One of my co-workers yelled over.

I quickly ran over and saw that he was having problems with one of the machines. It kept going in reverse and knocking things over.

"Why do you need my help? You know I don't work well with machines. Why not ask... anyone else?" I complained.

"Just get your butt over here!" He shouted, trying to control the metal beast.

I sighed and walked over. Ducking under the swinging crane, I finally climbed up to the seat. Once I got there, I immediately recognized the problem and rolled my eyes.

"Your key is in reverse, idiot." I told him, quickly fixing it. "Come on, even I could see that and I've never used one of these before."

"Huh... I could've sworn it wasn't like that before." He said, scratching his head.

"Well then maybe you bumped it. Remember, these controls are really sensitive. Can I go now?"

"Oh sure, thanks for helping."

"Yeah whatever, and be more careful next time." I told him, then I jumped down and made my way back to my section.

When it was in sight, I saw my partner, Jackson, struggling with the pipes. I chuckled at how much he was failing when he finally spotted me.

"Can you hurry up? This is a two man job so I can't do it by myself." He complained.

"Alright alright, keep your pants on." I laughed, and ran over to help.

I made sure to keep the pipes in place as he tied the rope around them. It took a couple tries, but we finally got them tied. Once I was sure it was secure, I slowly let go. They didn't fall, thankfully and we were able to push them to the pile of the ones we already completed.

"Ugh finally! I think that was the last one." Jackson said, as he wiped the sweat off of his forehead.

"Really? Huh, time really went by quickly."

"I know! Especially for a Monday... and speaking of Monday's..." He trailed off and I looked at him.

He had a big smirk on his face and I sighed.

"Come on Jackson, not today." I complained.

"It'll be the last time, I promise!"

"Last time you said it was the last time! I can't keep doing this."

"Please? Please, please, please? Oh please? This time I swear it'll be last time." He begged, grabbing my hand.

I groaned and finally caved.

"Alright! Fine, but only so you'll stop begging."

"Yes! Alright, how much you got on you?" He asked, bouncing excitedly.

"Not a lot since you said the last time was the last time." I told him, reaching in my pocket.

"That's fine just show me!"

I rolled my eyes and took out 3 fives, a couple ones, and some change.

"How much this time?" I asked, wanting to get it over with.

"Woah, woah, woah. You know that's not this works. If I see something I want in the pile, then that's how much we're doing."

He looked in my hand and took all the ones, and a five. He was going to move on when he saw something that really caught his eye.

"You have a half dollar?! Where did you get this?" He questioned, snatching it out of my hand and inspecting it.

"I don't know, it was just in my pocket." I told him, shrugging.