Ch. 7 Testing Talents

Kevin and Kirstie stared at each other for a while before Kirstie finally said something.

"H-How did you do that? Are you one of those people who can talk without moving their mouths or something? The ones with the dolls?" She asked quickly.

"You mean a ventriloquist? No I'm not, but somehow you're able to hear my thoughts."

'This is so strange.'

"I wouldn't call this strange, since we have powers and all. The word for this is going more towards... unusual." Kevin told her, and she looked at him in surprise.

"Now you can hear my thoughts!"

"Hmm, do you think it's possible we both could have this ability?" He asked.

"I guess we could try to figure it out."

"What if we tried to read the minds of people around us? That way neither of us can make any guesses."

"Okay, who should I do?"

Kevin looked around for few moments until he saw a man sitting at a bus stop reading a newspaper.

"How about him? Can you hear his thoughts?" He asked, and Kirstie glanced over.

She stared at the man and seemed to be concentrating. She took a deep breath and slowly closed her eyes. They opened a few seconds later, and she had a frown on her face.

"No, I can't... But I did see that he's gonna win a $5,000 lottery ticket later today." She told him, instantly perking up.

"Really? Huh, lucky him. Maybe he's too far away for it to work, let me find someone closer."

He looked around again and saw someone walking on the sidewalk, about to pass them.

"Try her." He said, gesturing to a lady on her cellphone.

Kirstie stared at her as she passed, but then looked at Kevin and shook her head.

"I don't understand why I can't hear their thoughts, I could hear yours."

'Hmm, maybe it's me.' Kevin thought to himself.

"See? I could hear that, I don't know why I can't hear anything else."

"Hmm... why don't you find someone for me to try?"

"Okay." Kirstie sighed, a little disappointed, and began looking for someone.

She saw someone by another bus stop, that looked like they were very nervous about something.

"What about him?" She questioned, pointing at the man.

Kevin looked at him for a few seconds before he heard a voice.

'Okay okay, it's fine. You're not gonna get fired for this. Just explain to them that your car got a flat tire and you had to catch the bus. Crap I'm so late... no, this is gonna be fine. Don't worry... I'm so dead.'

The bus pulled up and the man quickly ran on board, gave the driver some money, and sat in a seat. He was tapping his knees nervously as the bus drove off.

"Okay, so he-"

"I know, I heard it too..." Kirstie said, cutting him off. "Why is this happening?"

Kevin was quiet for a moment before speaking up.

"What if I'm the one who can read people's thoughts... but I can also send thoughts out to others around me?" He suggested.

"That... actually sounds like it makes a lot of sense. Huh, I guess I can't read people's minds..." She said, frowning a little.