Ch. 14 Pursuing the Persuader

After Kirstie succinctly explained her plan, everyone got in their position. Avi and Kevin hid behind a building while Kirstie confronted the man. Avi had wanted to do it, but after she promised not to scare him away, or at least scare him in the right direction, Kevin agreed to let Kirstie go.

"Stop pouting, it was her plan anyway." Kevin whispered to Avi, which only made him pout even more.

'Why does Kirstie always get to talk to everyone?'

Kevin rolled his eyes at how childish Avi was being and turned back to the scene that was about to unfold.

Kirstie walked up to the guy as he was finishing up the stolen apple. When he ate it all the way to the core, he threw it behind his shoulder and continued on his way. He walked for a few seconds before pausing, realizing he never heard the apple hit the ground. Turning around, he saw Kirstie holding the eaten apple by the stem.

"You do realize it's wrong to litter right? Especially when there's a trash can so close." She told him, throwing away the rest of the apple. He was about to say something but she quickly cut him off. "Oh, and before you say anything I'm American. So not that there's anything wrong with the language spoken here, it'd just be easier for me to understand you if you spoke English."

She finished with a smile and he stared at her. He blinked a few times and finally spoke up.

"Who are you?"

"I'm Kirstin but my friends call me Kirstie. What's your name?" She asked, and he smirked.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" He said, crossing his arms.

"I would actually, that's why I asked."

"Listen Kirstin-"

"My friends call me Kirstie." She reminded, and he stared at her for a second.

"Okay Kirstin as I was saying, I don't know what goes on in your head, but I don't just give my name to anyone. Especially in this part of town, you never know who to trust." He explained.

"Oh I know, but that's why I wanted to talk to you. A little birdie told me a bit about you, and my friends and I wanted to have a chat."

He froze and watched her carefully. She immediately put her hands up, showing she had nothing on her.

"It's okay, we don't want to hurt you. We just want to talk." She tried to tell him, and his eyes scanned over her quickly.

'Yeah right.'

Kevin heard the voice in his head, and saw the man's eyes narrow suspiciously.

'Kirstie look out!' He thought to her, but it was too late.

The small man quickly pushed Kirstie and bolted in the opposite direction. Since she was unprepared for it, the force of the shove sent her backwards into the trash can, knocking it over. Getting up, she was thankful she wasn't hurt, there was just a small ache on her right elbow from hitting the metal. She of course saw this happening before encountering the man, she just didn't expect it to happen so suddenly. Luckily things were still going according to plan as the man ran straight towards where Avi and Kevin were hiding.

Once he reached them, both of them jumped out and grabbed him. Apparently things like that must've happened to him before, because he was prepared to get out of it. The moment Avi and Kevin grabbed him, he started struggling and yelled out a few words in Portuguese. Kevin tried to calm him down, but he stepped on Avi's foot as hard as he could and elbowed Kevin in the ribs to make them let go of him. He succeeded in getting free and ran off as Kevin held his side and Avi hopped on one foot. By the time Kirstie got there, he was almost out of sight.