Ch. 12 Police Station

After what felt like forever to Kevin, they finally arrived at the police station. They ran inside and saw an officer at the front desk.

"You guys go ahead, I need to use the bathroom." Kevin told them, and they nodded and ran up to the desk.

The officer saw them and stopped working for a moment.

"Como posso ajudá-lo?" He asked, and Avi and Kirstie looked at each other.

"Uh... we need help." Avi told him, and he looked confused.

"O que?"

"Okay? You'll help us?"

The officer was silent for a moment before calling someone over. They spoke quietly and the other man walked over to them.

"Hello, my partner tells me you're American?" He asked, and they nodded. "That makes sense, he doesn't speak English that well. So how can we help you?"

At that moment, Kevin came out of the bathroom and walked over to them.

"Oh, well someone stole our car and it had all of our stuff in it. They also stole our friend's wallet." Kirstie explained, and he nodded.

"Do you know what they looked liked, or remember the license plate number?"

"Yes."

"Excellent! Now I must warn you, because you are american it's gonna cost you some money for a translator."

"I'm sorry, what? Why do we have to pay for a translator?" Avi asked.

"Because we don't have that many here and the ones we do have want to be paid extra." He explained.

"What part of 'someone stole our stuff and my friend's wallet' did you not understand?" Kirstie questioned him, a little upset.

"I'm sorry, but that's how it is." He said, and Kevin sighed.

"Forget the translator, I'll do it if we need any help."

"Are you sure that you'll be able to understand what they're saying, and know the proper way to speak to them?" He asked.

"You can quiz me if you'd like."

The man gave Kevin a suspicious once over before complying.

"Se você pode me entender, toque seu nariz."

Kevin rolled his eyes before placing a finger on the tip of his nose.

"Mais alguma perguntas?" He asked, dropping his hand.

The man glared at him before calling over, who they were guessing was the sketch artist. A young man came out holding a notebook and pencil. He looked between Kevin and the other officer before sitting in one of the chairs.

"Hello, I am here to help, can you tell me how person looked?" He asked kindly, and Kevin tore his gaze away from the officer in front of him.

"Uh sure." Avi said, and they all took a seat in front of him.

Avi was describing what the man looked like and he was quickly scribbling down a sketch. They were about halfway done when he stopped them to ask a few detailed questions.

"Was the hair of man brown or black?"

"Uh, I think it was a dark brown, but it was kinda hard to tell because of the hat he was wearing." Avi explained, and he nodded.

"What was the hat of color?"

"It was a very dark grey. Not exactly dark grey, but not entirely black either."