Ch. 4 Avi's Family

After finishing their breakfast, they cleaned up and got ready. Getting in Kevin's car, they made a quick stop at Avi's place so he could get some clothes. Kevin and Kirstie waited in the car while Avi ran inside. A few minutes passed and they didn't think much of it so they made small conversation. Almost a half hour passed and then they started to worry.

"What's taking him so long? He should be out here by now." Kevin asked worriedly.

"Give him a few more minutes, maybe he got a bit lost." Kirstie suggested, and Kevin raised an eyebrow.

"He got lost in his own house?" He questioned, and Kirstie was quiet for a few moments.

"Maybe he's talking to someone." She said, though it sounded more like a question.

Kristie bit her lip nervously, but relaxed when she saw Avi walking out the door. They quickly noticed that he wasn't alone, and he looked a little uncomfortable. A girl waited by the door with her arms crossed and tapping her foot, while Avi came back to the car.

"So, uh, can you guys come inside real quick? We need to talk." He said, glaring back at the girl.

Kevin and Kirstie looked at each other confused, before taking off their seat belts and getting out of the car. Avi lead them back to the front door where they came face to face with the annoyed girl. She was quiet and looked them over a few times before turning and leading them into the house.

"Avi what's going on?" Kirstie questioned in a whisper, as they walked down the hall.

"Well, my family wants to meet you guys before they let me go anywhere. They want to make sure that you're 'safe' enough for me to be with for a while." He explained, glaring at the girl. "Oh and by the way, I haven't exactly told my family about you know what." He said, whispering the last part.

"Alright, we won't bring it up. But I'm confused, why would they think we were unsafe?" Kevin asked quietly.

"They don't know you guys, they don't know what you look like, how you act, the things that you do, and stuff like that. Since they don't know you, then they usually assume the worst. Guilty until proven innocent." Avi said with a sigh. "I know they're doing this because they love me, but they can be a bit... too overprotective."

"How so?"

"Let's just say there's this test they made up, and if you pass, then we'll be able to get going."

"What if we fail?" Kristie piped up.

Unfortunately, her question remained unanswered as they reached their destination. Five chairs sat together in a room and two of them were already taken by what they assumed was Avi's parents. The girl who lead them to the room, took the one in the middle of them and gestured for them to sit.

"This is ridiculous, aren't you a grown man?" Kevin whispered to Avi, and he sighed.

"I've been telling them that for years, but they still won't change their minds." He complained as they took their seats.

Avi stayed back, obviously annoyed, and leaned against the back wall as their 'test' began.

"So, you want to take our son across the country?" Avi's mom asked, sitting up and crossing her legs in a formal manner.

"Who said we were going across the country?" Kristie questioned.

"Esther told us." Avi's dad said, and they saw Avi roll his eyes and mutter something under his breath.

Kristie heard it and decided it was best if she not repeat it. They needed to get on their good side if they wanted Avi to be part of the team. Instead she closed her eyes and concentrated.