Chapter 57

The following morning... 

Emma sensed tension all around the Jolly Roger. She felt as if she couldn't breathe at times. She thought maybe everyone was just anxious to get off the ship today since they hadn't seen land in over a month now. The princess knew she was anxious to see some trees, maybe send a letter to her parents and Henry. She was beginning to miss her mother nagging her and her father's overprotectiveness. She even missed Henry's endless tales of far-off lands. Emma loved her life on the ship, but that didn't mean she didn't miss home.

The princess was currently wrapped up in one of Killian's arms as he steered them into port as she rested her head on his chest. Jamie had stayed below deck all night and announced to his cabin mates he wouldn't show his face until it was time to dock and leave the ship for the day. She didn't blame him, her scrawny friend didn't have much to look forward to on deck. His days consisted of doing the chores no one else wanted to do and constant supervision. He was practically a mistreated prisoner in her eyes. Nonetheless, she knew he could have had a much worse fate.

"What do you say, Swan, do you want to grab some food first or gather the supplies first?" Killian asked, gently rubbing her back.

"Whatever you want..." She responded emotionless as she played with his heavy chained necklace.

He let out a small chuckle, "Are you hungry?"

Emma let out a heavy breath, "No, not really."

"I guess we can gather a few supplies then." he thought out loud, "Perhaps after we can get you something warm to eat."

The princess wasn't paying too much attention to the conversation, she was too worried about her friend, "Did you talk to Jamie last night?"

"Aye..." Killian responded cautiously, releasing her from his embrace, "He stopped by our cabin and asked if he would be allowed to roam the island." He bluffed.

"Yeah, Mr. Smee told me that Jamie was waiting until we docked to come up." She responded with a weak smile, "Thank you for letting him sit with us last night at dinner, I think he really needed that."

The captain returned the smile, ignoring the feeling of betrayal, "Of course, love."

"So what are his special rules?" Emma asked, referring to Jamie, "Is he gonna follow us everywhere?" She teased, "Are we gonna have to sneak around to steal a kiss as we did back in the castle?" She asked with a laugh.

"Unfortunately nothing like that." Killian responded, letting out a chuckle before he continued to lie, "I gave him all the same rules as everyone else. Do as you please, but be here before we leave."

Emma stared at her captain. He really was a good man. Even though he didn't trust Jamie, he was being kind to him and giving him some respect. She greatly appreciated it, "That was very kind of you." She said with a smile and quickly pressed her lips against his.

"Don't wear it out." He responded with a wink.

The princess laughed, "Oh yes, I wouldn't want to ruin your reputation now."

Soon enough the Jolly Roger was docked and the crew dispersed. Emma didn't see Jamie leave the ship, but no one was left in the cabins. She must have missed him again...

"Isn't it odd that we haven't seen Jamie this morning?" Emma asked Killian as the two walked down the dock.

"Aye, I suppose it is." He agreed, "The lad is probably glad to be on land again, that's all."

"I suppose you're right... Anyways what do we need to get first?" She asked, changing the subject.

Killian pulled out a small piece of paper from his pocket and began to read off the list, "Some rope, planks, a few new swords, restocking our food supply, stocking up on the spices... you wanted to write some letters and I wanted to buy some new soap..." He responded, trailing off at the end out of embarrassment.