Chapter 89

The following night...

Snow, Henry, Robin, and Merlin were all home within a blink of an eye. It was a relief for everyone, but it was evident David was scared he might miss the birth of his son. Nonetheless, they had more significant issues to deal with.

The Jolly Roger was on its way to Ambrosia, and the ship fell silent since it started to sail. Killian remained at the helm most of the day, hoping Emma would talk to him. David and Regina remained down in the galley, creating a battle plan for once they arrived in the sorrowful kingdom. Emma remained isolated and avoided everyone as much as possible.

Emma plopped herself on her bed in the captain's quarters, dreading that the day had come to an end. It was a lazy, but tiresome day for the Princess of Misthaven. They would arrive at Ambrosia within hours, thanks to magic, and she had no clue how she was supposed to solve all their problems. She had no clue how she was supposed to save her brother without her having to sacrifice her life.

Throughout the day, Regina tried to teach her how to tether a person to an object, tether a force of energy to an object, and so on. Both of them grew frustrated with one another for different reasons. Emma simply did not want to be around her lying aunt, and Regina, who already had little patience with anyone, was annoyed that her niece wasn't paying attention nor caring about the importance of the lesson.

The princess rubbed her achy neck as she reflected on the day. When she wasn't in magic lessons, she was buried in a book, trying to find answers. Killian's gaze always lingered on her when she was above deck, so she tried to remain out of his sight, and above all, she avoided her father.

The last thing Emma wanted was a lecture from her father. Her mother was the lecturing one; her father was merely backup. But when he lectured, it became a heart-to-heart conversation. This is a conversation she didn't want. She didn't want to be asked why she was still so upset and avoiding everyone. She didn't want to hear her father beg her to talk to him so he could ease her worries.

She didn't want to break down into a puddle of emotions and admit she wanted to forgive everyone, that she wanted to feel safe once more, and that she wanted someone to tell her what to do.

She knew forgiveness meant them acting like the situation didn't happen when it very well did. She knew she wasn't safe, and nothing they said or do will ever make her safe. She knew the only sure way to get through all of this was her death...

The creaking of the cabin door shook her thoughts as a tired captain walked through. "What are you doing here?" Emma jumped off the bed.

Killian chuckled, "Well, this is my room too." His face fell a little as all the memories of them in this room came flooding back, "I came to get some shut-eye. Your aunt enchanted the sails so I could rest." He paused, "I will gather a few things and sleep in the crew quarters."

"No, wait!" She responded a bit too eager, "This... is your room. I'll head to the galley and read some more books." Emma smiled, gathering a pile of books, "Won't be long until the inevitable happens."

Her laugh was like a punch to his gut. Almost as if she was saying he failed her. He failed to protect her, he failed to make her feel safe. Hell, she wasn't safe and even failed himself. "I could help you." He offered quietly as she neared the exit, "Just like old times."

Her eyes fell to the floor, "These aren't like old times."

Not wanting a response, she left the cabin. The captain didn't chase after her, and the princess had to admit she was kind of disappointed. It really wasn't like old times...

Sulking her way to the galley, she was greeted by Regina and David in a heavy conversation. They were trying not to be loud, but it was clear they were in some sort of argument. But the bickering quickly stopped once they spotted her.