Chapter 15

One week later...

It was nearly 10 in the morning and Emma was still asleep. Killian was up hours ago ready to start the day, but he never left the room until Emma was awake. Luckily he was able to wiggle out of bed and occupy himself with continuing to chart their course to Misthaven, with luck they would be there sooner than expected. He glanced at Emma's slightly red face and wondered how she could sleep in so late, he was sure princesses were early risers just like pirates. He assumed she was taking this time to sleep in while she could before she returned home and her mother would come into her room and wake her to start her responsibilities.

It was moments like this that he was glad his crew liked the princess and respected him. If he wasn't on deck he knew Mr. Smee would take over the wheel and the rest of his crew carried on with their daily routines. They didn't mind if he showed up a little late, they all knew after the incident with the stable boy Emma didn't like waking up alone. His crew also knew not to interrupt them unless the ship itself was sinking...

"CAPTAIN JONES!!" Mr. Smee screamed, slamming his fist on the Captain's door, going against everything he was just thinking.

Killian quickly got up and cracked the door open a little, hoping not to wake Emma.

"If this is about the breakfast specialty, we're not interested!" Killian whispered roughly, trying not to get angry at the short man.

"Bu-but sir... It- it-" Mr. Smee stuttered.

"Spit it out, you're going to wake Emma!" He said a little louder, anger beginning to take over.

"Blackbeard is sailing towards the Jolly Roger!" Smee said quickly.

"You're absolutely sure?" The captain responded calmly, taken back by the statement.

"Yes Captain, the men in the crow's nest said he's bringing out his cannons." He responded in a panic.

"Alright, tell the men to prepare for defense... he's not boarding this ship." Killian responded, knowing he was coming for something... or someone.

"Yes sir." The first mate responded before running above deck to inform the rest of the crew.

Panic rose within Killian, he knew once the word got out about the princess being aboard his ship, other pirates would try to come and take her for their own ransome. He also knew they would be less chivalrous than him or his crew... He couldn't let Blackbeard find her here but he also just couldn't leave Emma in the room alone without an explanation of why he was leaving. He would have to wake her and just hope she didn't fight him back this one time...

"Love, wake up." He said loud enough to wake her as he searched for his sword.

"Just a few more minutes..." Emma said turning over, eyes still closed.

"Swan, I have to go above deck." Killian stated, putting his sword in its holster.

"Why?" Emma asked propping up to face him, fully awake now.

"A ship... coming towards the Jolly Roger... you need to stay here." He responded, trying to be careful with his words.

"Well, maybe I can help." She responded, getting out of bed.

"No, Swan! Stay here..." He responded harsher than intended.

"But I-" The princess started, ready to bicker.

"Please, darling... I'm just trying to keep you safe..." Killian interrupted, worry was all over his face and in his voice.

He didn't give her a chance to respond. He had been below deck longer than intended after he got the news and it was time for him to return to his responsibilities with his crew. He hoped deep down this time Emma would trust him and do as he asked, he kissed her on the head and went above deck, leaving her standing there in his black shirt as she did every night.

Emma watched as he left, closing the door behind him. She didn't know what exactly was happening but she assumed it must not be good if Killian had to wake her, he never woke her. She noticed his vest and heavy jacket still hung over the chair, now she knew something must be happening above deck, something bad... he only ever took his jacket off if she was cold or he was in a duel with crew members and he always had his vest on.

The one thing Emma couldn't wrap her head around was why he didn't want her help. She was by far the best fighter on the ship, thanks to her father. She's defeated every single one of the crew members and the captain himself. She was even training them to become better fighters in hopes they could join her parents army. So why wouldn't he want her help? Sure Killian could be overprotective at times but he never would turn down a helping hand, especially in a fight. Emma felt she's proven more than enough that she's a fighter and now she was getting mad. Yes, she was the captain's lover but she was a part of this crew and it was time for her to prove it.

Her thoughts were interrupted with a loud bang and the ship being forcefully pushed over. They were hit by a cannon. Memories of when her royal ship was attacked came back to her... she didn't even bother getting dressed, she rushed above deck praying everyone was alright.

Another short chapter... A longer one will come soon! :)