Chapter 84

Later that evening, on the Jolly Roger...

Emma ran her fingers across the rough dark wood that made up the helm. Memories of Killian showing her where to place her hands flooded her mind. His raspy voice whispering in her ear, him rubbing up against her... She even missed his stubble scratching her cheek. She missed him, all of him. From his wind-blown hair to his incorrigible short temper.

Being on his ship was no help either. Everything reminded her of him and the memories they made. Even the damn sea itself reminded her of his ocean blue eyes.

She cursed herself for not stealing another ship. It would've been less conspicuous. No one kept a close count of the vessels, and they weren't worth stealing. Above all, the Jolly Roger was the largest ship ever to make port in Misthaven. Therefore its absence would be noticed. However, she felt comfortable on this ship. She knew how to guide the old sails and move the large chunk of wood through the rough waters.

If it was just her on this voyage, she was sure she would've taken a random ship, but because Henry and Merlin were with her, she wanted to limit the risk. Sure, she could sail, but Killian was the one who transported them everywhere. He knew how to maneuver through any storm, ride any wave, and never get lost. She knew only the basics and could only navigate herself through a forest.

    "It's never too late to turn around, Emma." A thick, calm voice shook her thoughts.

    The princess turned to the dark-haired sorcerer, "Merlin, please. You don't have to say that every hour." She responded, unamused.

    He gave a deep chuckle, "Your parents described you to be a bit more lively." He teased, hoping to make her smile, "Certainly not a person to frown."

    "I apologize for my mannerisms." She let out a sigh, "Here you are helping me, and all I'm doing is sulking."

    "I think you have a good reason." He acknowledged as she walked to the side of the ship, "The news of your parents' secret must have been a shock."

    It was, but she learned to get over her parents disappointing her quickly. They made sure to take care of her and gave her the best of life, but they were often absent when their royal responsibilities took over. Hence why they always had August, Regina, or someone else to look after her. The more she thought about it, the more everything made sense. The constant whispers, Neal's constant presence, the overbearing rules... right now, her heart ached. And it wasn't because of her parents. "The news of my brother and his fate was indeed a shock. However, I'm not so upset about that anymore."

    The sorcerer gave a half-smile, "You miss that smug pirate?"

    The princess gave him a sour look, "His name is Killian." She responded a bit too defensive, "And he's not entirely smug." She added to lighten the mood.

    Merlin took no offense, "Ah, you two must have quite the tale." He nudged her in a friendly manner, causing her to smile, "Your mother talks nonstop about him."

    Emma raised her eyebrow, "I take it my father had wonderful things to say?" She teased, already knowing the answer.

    "Oh, indeed." Merlin laughed sarcastically, "He talked all about how his only daughter fell in love with a pirate."

    Her smile faded as memories surfaced once more, "I miss him."

    He placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, "For what it's worth, Killian did as your parents asked-"

    "But he didn't have to!" She responded, growing more upset by the redundancy of that constant statement.

   "But he wanted your parents' approval." Merlin responded, unphased, "He wanted your father's approval."