Chapter 71

The next morning...

Emma rubbed her tired eyes, squinting them tightly together to block out the early morning sun. It was no secret she wasn't a morning person, but Killian was, which meant the windows were always letting in as much natural light as possible. She felt a feeling of loneliness wash over, then turned to her side and found Killian gone. The princess sighed to herself, knowing he was already above deck giving orders. She knew his duty was to the crew and taking her home, but she wished he didn't have to leave so early every morning.

She rolled over to her bedside table and found a small plate of fruit and biscuit with jelly, followed by a note...

Good morning my love,

My deepest apologies for leaving you alone, such bad form. However, I've prepared you a small breakfast and can't wait to see your beautiful face soon... Once you've prepared for the day, come above deck. I have some exciting news to share!

With all my love,
Your devilishly handsome pirate

Emma smiled at the note. He would never admit it, but he was such a romantic. Even more so than her...

Finally sitting up, the princess stretched her arms once more and reached for her journal on the table. She began writing in it about the lovely breakfast she was eating and the even more lovely note she had received from her favorite pirate. After munching on a couple of pieces of fruit she finished off her breakfast and decided to get dressed. Today she felt like wearing a short, loose-fitting dress that she was sure Killian would love. She hadn't worn a dress in forever and decided it was time.

After heading above deck, Emma searched for Killian through the crew. He wasn't at his typical spot at the helm and caught herself frowning... All of a sudden a pair of strong arms came up behind her and hugged her waist, "I do hope you're looking for me, love." The deep comforting voice whispered.

The princess smiled, knowing it was her pirate, "Hate to break your heart, captain, but I was actually looking for Mr. Smee." She teased, turning her body.

Killian playfully rolled his eyes, "Did you sleep well?" He asked, changing the topic.

Emma nodded her head and took his hand in hers as she began to walk them over to the side of the ship, "I did, and breakfast was exceptionally well." She commented with a smile, "I didn't think Sebastion would make biscuits for breakfast." She said, referring to the ship's cook.

The captain inhaled a deep breath, "He didn't." Killian confessed, "But I know you're not too fond of broiled fish every morning, so I had him make you something special."

"You didn't." She said with a smile, "Well, thank you. I'll be sure to head down later and thank Sebastion myself." Emma remarked as she stared out into the sea, "But please don't request a special breakfast every day." She laughed while raising her eyebrows at him.

He scratched behind his ear as he took in her beauty, "Did you by chance see anything else this morning?"

"Oh yes!" She remembered, "You said you had some news to share?"

"Indeed." He responded a bit too seriously, "I know you've grown bored and probably wish you had something to do..." He began, placing a hand on her back, "Why don't you start helping Sebastian down in the galley, if you wish."

Emma turned her head and smiled at him. Truth be told, she was getting bored. The crew didn't talk much to her anymore and she never liked bothering Killian when he seemed busy, and lately, he always seemed busy. She spent her days reading the same books they left with and practicing magic until he came to check on her or tell her it was time to eat. She was more than ready to do something else and the fact that he offered made her feel even better than her trying to sneak off and do it behind his back, "You promise not to make a big fuss over me doing a task on your ship?" She questioned, trying to compose her happiness.