Chapter 24

Early the next morning...

The sun had barely risen yet but there was mumbling outside Princess Emma's door. Normally she would just ignore it, assuming her guards were just talking amongst themselves to stay awake. She didn't blame them, nor mind, it must be awful just to stand there all night in silence. She should know, that's what she's been doing all night as well. Emma found it hard to sleep without her pirate next to her. They spent months sleeping by each other's side, inhaling each other's scent, limbs tossed over other limbs, skin pressed against skin. Now all she felt was cold sheets and a racing mind. What was Killian doing right now? Did he come back to the castle? Did he have a restful sleep? Was he happy?

The princess found herself wandering around her room, trying to find something else to occupy her mind with as she waited for the sun to rise. Then she could rush to Killian and hopefully spend the day with him. She heard her guards continue to mumble, however, this time there were more than two voices. Letting curiosity get the best of her, she silently made her way to the wooden door and pressed her ear up against it.

"The King's horse is still missing."

"I was informed the pirate took it, the King gave him permission."

"That was last night, he should've returned the horse by now."

"I still can't believe the princess trusted a pirate, she's smarter than that."

"Well, she was raised by Snow White, taught to see the best in people."

"I can't believe the king let him take a horse."

"Should we inform the king?"

Before Emma could even think she opened her door. A mix of emotions was running through her. Why didn't Killian return? Was he hurt? Lost? Did he leave? They've been through worse and it was out of character for him just to abandon her. Something must be keeping him from returning to her.

"Apologize, ma'am. We did not mean to wake you." One of her guards said, shaking her thoughts.

"It's all right, I've been up for hours... I was just leaving to go get a book from the library." The princess responded, in a lie.

"Which one? I'll get it for you, your highness." A maid walking by offered.

"No! I'll get it..." She responded harsher than intended.

"Yes ma'am. Should I turn down the bed now?" Her maid asked.

"Um... yes... If my parents are looking for me, I'll be in the library." Emma responded before walking off.

Emma didn't like lying, it left a bad taste in her mouth. But she had to... She was on her way to the barn to grab her horse and look for Killian. It was best if no one knew. Soon her parents would be awake and looking for her and she couldn't risk them stopping her from looking for Killian or filling her head with thoughts of him leaving. He would never do that. The library was a great excuse. She used to spend all her spare time there, reading books and getting lost in the adventures they held. The best part about her lie was that the castle's library was huge. It would take at least an hour to look through if they wanted to find her, there were many hidden nooks and crannies she's discovered through the years. When she was younger she used to hide in them and often couldn't be found. It was the perfect cover-up.

She made it to the barn with no guards or maids stopping her. She made her way to the very back where her all-white horse waited for her. Even though Emma has neglected her horse for the past couple of years, the horse was ready to serve her. As she placed the saddle on the horses, Emma realized her own appearance. She was in her nightgown, with no shoes. Not the most practical outfit for riding, but it'll have to do.