Chapter 55

Two days later... 

Emma and Smee slowly made their way down to the deepest and darkest part of the ship with a tray of fish and bread for the young man who saved her. Killian wasn't too fond of her going down to talk to the prisoner, he knew it was a dangerous game. Once you start to know someone you feel pity for them, no matter how vile they might be. However, he knew it would be no good to stop her. She would only revolt and do it behind his back. They made an agreement that either he or the first mate accompany her and she spends no more than ten minutes there at a time. Emma, of course, was very crafty and made good use of those ten minutes. She would serve him breakfast, talk for ten minutes, then leave. In an hour she would come back to retrieve his empty tray and talk for another ten minutes. The same applied for all the following meals.

The princess had discovered his name was Jamie. He was only a year younger than her, making him 18. Jamie grew up very poor and lost his parents a few years prior. He had no love for King George but the king had given him a life at his palace for free and he was no fool to pass up that opportunity in his time of need. He admitted to trying to save the princess when he saw she was in danger, he confided that he felt she was innocent and not one of the dreaded pirates...

"Jamie?" The princess called out as Smee lit a nearby lantern for light.

"I'm still here Miss Emma, reading the same book you brought me a few days prior." The man with dark hair laughed out.

She smiled at his smart comment, "I brought you some breakfast. It's not much but it should get you through until your trial today."

Jamie accepted the meal, feeling famished, "I suppose I should start saying my farewells in these ten minutes." He laughed weakly.

Emma looked down, frowning her face. He was so young, so innocent. She wondered if this is how she appeared to others. He came off as a boy, not even a man at times. Someone who seemed to barely care for themselves, let alone someone else. She was sure that was how Killian saw her at times, given she was 18 when she first boarded the Jolly Roger. It amazed her how much could happen in a year. Last year she was this boy and she was sure her appearance hadn't changed much. Then she remembered Killian was only three years older than her. He was 22, a real man now, but surely he looked like a child to his older crewmates. The captain and the princess were the youngling on the ship but held the most authority, then it hit her...

"Maybe I can convince him to let you be part of the crew..." She said aloud.

"I'm sure my fate is much worse, especially given the captain." Jamie laughed out as he swallowed some bread.

"No. He's much kinder than people give him credit for." She responded lost in thought, "Besides, you're innocent. He can't kill you if you're innocent."

He continued to chew on a piece of bread, "If your captain does spare me, what makes you think he'll just let me be part of the crew?"

"His men are much older, close to wanting to retire. He'll need younger men sooner or later." She responded quickly.

Jamie didn't respond, most likely thinking over the princess's plan. She had a point. His small crew was aging, many talked of retirement after this journey. Many said they regretted not retiring sooner. He would need a crew to help maintain the ship, it was already proven by how much he struggled on his way to Neal's kingdom. And if Emma put that idea in his head, there would be hope.

"Swan!" A deep accented voice called out from the stairs.

Mr. Smee quickly rushed over to the princess gently tugging at her arm in an effort to make her move, "It seems the captain thinks your ten minutes are up. We must hurry before he comes down here." He urged.