Chapter 32

A few weeks later...

Emma was happier than usual. Her father had agreed to let Killian escort her to Arendelle as long as he approved of the captain's sailing. That would not be an issue, Killian was an excellent sailor, probably the best there is. The sea was in his bones and sailing in his heart. Kilian was sailing since he was a lad. Now they were just waiting for the King to have a day off to enjoy some time on the sea.

The princess was also glad because many of her lessons were coming to an end. She had spent the majority of her life learning about Misthaven, its alliances, proper princess etiquette, a queen's duties and so much more. Since she was a baby her mother would tell her tales of Misthaven's past and ever since then, everything seemed to turn into a lesson. Even though her mother meant well with all the teaching, Emma was thrilled it would be over. Now she had more time to focus on Killian. She still had other responsibilities of course, but nothing that would consume her whole day as her lessons once did.

Killian had finally made a full recovery from the incident at the ball. The man who stabbed him was exiled from Misthaven, the King and Queen decided not to kill him... The thought of the mysterious man still out there worried Emma, but Killian seemed unaffected by the situation. Perhaps he was used to people trying to kill him...

Nonetheless, life went on. This week her birthday ball would be held and everyone would be attending. The entire kingdom of Misthaven and even some friends from other kingdoms. It would also be her last week with August as well. He was leaving on the yearly tradition of checking on Misthaven's alliances. He did so well last year the King and Queen decided to send him again...

    "Care to share your thoughts, lass?" Killian asked Emma as they walked through the castle's halls.

    "Just thinking." Emma responded vaguely with a smile.

    "When do you suppose your father would like to go sailing?" He asked as time was running out.

    "I don't really know. I suppose we could go and ask." She responded.

The two of them then searched the large palace from room to room, finally finding the King in the ballroom with the Queen, finalizing details for their daughter's ball.

    Snow saw them entering the room, bringing a smile to her face, "What a lovely surprise." She said.

    Emma made her way over to her mother giving her a hug, then her father. "Hello mother, father." She said with a smile.

Killian stood there silent with a slight smile, never really sure what to do in moments like this.

    "Do you like it?" David asked, referring to the decorations in the ballroom.

    "It's lovely, father." Emma responded with a smile... "Father as you know, I'm leaving next week and you said I could go with Killian once he took you sailing, do you know when you'll have time to go sailing yet?" She continued on.

    "Soon." The King responded vaguely, with a straight face.

    "How about after lunch?" Snow suggested with a smile.

    "I think that's a marvelous idea, the sea never looks better than at midday. We could have lunch on deck as well." Killian added.

    "We can't." David responded quickly. "We have to... go into the village today and... make sure all is right within the kingdom." He added in an unsure tone.

    "David, that can wait, Killian said today is the perfect day to go sailing and I'm starving." Snow responded.

    "Please daddy?" Emma begged while holding onto Killian's arm.