Chapter 7

Weeks had passed and they still hadn't made port yet, and honestly Emma didn't mind. Her life on the Jolly Roger became more enjoyable as the Captain decided to leave her door unlocked and let her walk around the deck, as long as she didn't disturb his crew of course. Killian had figured they were far out at sea and she had no desire to try to escape, nor would there be anywhere she could escape. Emma had become friends with some of the crew members and even ate dinner with them in the kitchen some nights. The Captain was generous and allowed her to use his desk to write in her journal she brought and read some of his books he collected over the years so she had something to do during the long days, when she wasn't chatting his ear off...

Princess Emma didn't realize the heavy weight that sat on her chest, all the pressures of wanting to please her parents, her kingdom, herself... it had consumed her mind her entire life. All the lessons she had, from her basic education, edict classes, learning all her kingdom's history, her alliance's history, her fighting lessons... the list could just go on and on. She knew she had no real reason to complain as she had a blessed life compared to many others, but it was nice not having to worry about her posture, her manners, her appearance, and most of all she didn't have to worry about acting like a princess.

She was enjoying her time with Captain Jones as well, he started insisting she call him Killian now. They often stayed up after the crew went to sleep and just looked at the stars, talking and getting lost in each other's gaze before they retired to their own rooms. She started to believe he was a good man, the tales of him killing men and having his way with women against their will seemed far from the truth... She thought he was handsome and found herself wanting him to think she was gorgeous in return. However, she knew they would be nothing more than friends if anything, she knew he wasn't fond of royals, and bringing a pirate home as a suitor was something she didn't think her parents would accept... especially her father.

    "Anything I can get you, your highness?" Mr. Smee asked, interrupting her thoughts as she looked out to the sea. 

    "I'm alright at the moment, thank you, Mr. Smee." Emma responded with a smile.

He left her in her place and went below to do his task for the day. Many of the other crew members said hello to her as they walked around the deck, doing their own tasks. She was lost in thoughts for what seemed like hours...

"Alright Swan, you haven't bothered me all day... Is there something wrong?" Killian asked with a smile, knowing something was weighing on her mind.

Emma didn't say anything, she only looked up at him and smiled.

"Seriously, you're making Mr. Smee worry." Killian said, trying to lighten her mood.

"Well, you know he worries about everything..." Emma said, still avoiding his earlier question.

"Swan...." Killian pushed, digging for answers.

    "Would you be upset if I decided not to write a ransom note?" Emma asked quietly.

Killian thought for a minute... He had forgotten she was his prisoner, his quick treasure. He actually had grown quite fond of her. He loved admiring her as she wrote in her journal, filling pages effortlessly. Or the way her eyes squinted when she was reading. Most of all he loved the way she'd run up to him, like a little girl, her bright green eyes filled with joy and hair blowing in the wind making her red cheeks and wide smile visible to him... he loved how she would meet him at his ship's wheel and just talk non stop about anything... he loved seeing her happy, it made him happy.

"No, love... I could never be mad at you." He said, finally.

There was a moment of silence, neither of them spoke.

"I'll turn the Jolly Roger around and take you home..." Killian said, sadness in his voice as he prepared to walk away.

"No... that's not what I meant." Emma said quickly, still trying to gather her thoughts.

"I don't understand, love." Killian questioned.

"If August did as I asked, he should be halfway done with the journey by now...." Emma rambled.

"Aye?" The Captain responded, still confused.

"When we dock... I'll write a letter to my parents telling them what happened, but if it is alright with you... I'd like to stay a while longer..." The princess said, not sure of what his reaction would be.

Killian brushed a strand of hair from her face and placed his hand on her soft cheek. She finally looked at him. He saw the storm in her eyes, a mixture of happiness and sadness...

"Of course, Swan..." Was all he said.

"Can I ask why?" Killian pushed.

"I'm not sure yet... I know my duty is to my people, but being here just seems right." Emma said inches from his face.

They both got lost in each other's eyes, leaning closer to each other... Neither of them knew what love was or what it was like to be in a relationship with someone else, but they were so willingly prepared to find out. Emma turned her body to better face him as Killian placed his hand back onto her cheek, leaning in anticipating how soft her lips would feel against his...

    "CAPTAIN!" Mr. Smee shouted, running towards them, seeming to be in a panic.

   "What, Mr. Smee!" He yelled, clearly angry at the short man for ruining his moment with Emma.

    "I've... um... I've come to tell you that the chef has prepared your favorite meal for lunch today... Sir..." Smee responded, preparing himself for what was about to happen.

    "That's the bloody emergency!" Killian yelled back at the man who shook with fear.

    "S-sorry Captain, it won't happen again..." Smee responded in fear. 

    The Captain got close to the man's face... "You better hope it doesn't, if it does, so help me I'll... "

    "Killian... " Emma interrupted, trying to spare her friend of his wrath.

He stopped and looked at her, her soft green eyes showed concern for Mr. Smee. He realized he had been harsh and didn't want Emma to think he was an awful man like from the tales she had heard... he wanted her to like him. He let Mr. Smee go.

"Sorry, Swan, I don't know what came over me..." He said, embarrassed of his actions.

"You know, if I came running up to you like that you would have had the biggest grin on your face," Emma said with a smile, easing the moment.

"Aye, well you're gorgeous. Who'd be upset about a gorgeous woman running at them..." Killian said, without thinking twice.

"You think I'm gorgeous?" Emma said with a huge grin.

"Well compared to Mr. Smee, that broken barrel is more gorgeous than him!" Killian laughed and he pointed to the broken barrel.

Emma pretended to be offended as she hit him on the arms. Killian humored her and winched in pain with a smile. He got lost in her eyes once more...

"Would you join me for dinner in my cabin tonight?" Killian proposed, in a serious tone.

"Well I wouldn't want to object to such a kind offer from the Captain, and my room is next to yours after all, it would be awkward if I declined." Emma teased.

Killian laughed.

    "It's a date then?" He asked.

"Yes, it's a date... see you tonight." Emma said before disappearing below deck.