Chapter 22

Killian's heart was beating faster than he thought was humanly possible. It pounded in his head loudly, he was sure everyone could hear it. Emma reached up, placing her hand on his face, lightly stroking his freshly groomed bread. This calmed him. The captain inhaled a deep breath as he leaned into the princess's hand, giving her a slight nod that he was alright. After a moment she grabbed his hand, leading him over to the King and Queen.

"Mom, Dad... this is Killian Jones." Emma said calmly.

"It's an honor to meet you both. Emma has told me so much about you." Killian said, slightly nervous.

"Oh it's an honor to meet you, captain. Emma just beams when she talks about you!" Snow said with a wide smile, giving Killian a hug.

This gesture surprised both Emma and Killian, but Killian accepted the hug and gave her one in return with a slight smile. Killian saw the King from over the Queen's shoulder, his straight face and boring eyes seemed unforgiving, making him uneasy again.

"Yes, what an honor is it to meet Killian Jones..." The king responded, putting his hand out for him to shake.

Killian returned the handshake cautiously. As they shook hands, David gripped his hand more firmly as the seconds passed, squeezing Killian's hand.

"Alright father, that's enough." Emma said, noticing her father's actions.

"Just couldn't contain my joy." He responded sarcastically to his daughter.

"Your ship is lovely." The queen said, changing the subject.

"Thank you, your highness, she's made from enchanted wood." Killian responded.

"Oh, that's wonderful! The forest here is also enchanted, maybe some of the wood made your ship." She responded, making conversation.

"Perhaps it did. I must admit I haven't been to many magical kingdoms before." The captain responded.

"Well it is very rare, only a few people have magic. We're still waiting to see if Emma will have any." Snow responded happily.

"Mom..." Emma said, slightly annoyed.

"Emma has magic?" Killian asked, this topic never came up before.

"Emma doesn't like to talk about it. She could potentially have magic now if she didn't deny it. She was born of true love and is of royal blood so it would not be a surprise if she did." Snow explained.

"Why don't we go home now, we've had a long journey." Emma said, wanting to change the topic.

"Oh of course, where have my manners gone!" Snow responded.

"They're not all coming with us, right?" David asked, referring to the crew.

"Dad!" Emma said angrily.

"No no, it's alright Emma." Killian interrupted, getting him a nasty glance from the King.

"Men, Listen up! You have the week off. Do as you please, treat this kingdom with respect. This is Emma's home, remember that in every decision you make. When the week comes to an end, meet back here and we shall see where we stand." Killian said in his captain voice.

"Great, he just invited himself to stay for a week." David said annoyed, making his way off the ship.

    "Killian and I will meet you at the castle." Emma said to her mother, annoyed with her father's actions.

"David!" Snow yelled at him as she followed him, ready to scold him for his behavior.

Emma watched as her parents walked away. She hated that her father was acting like this, like a child. He has never done this with any suitor before, but perhaps that was because many of them were princes. Either way, his behavior was unforgivable. She was glad her mother noticed his behavior and hopefully would have a word with him. Emma turned to face the crew. They were all in their best clothes, freshly showered and groomed. Something they hardly ever did. She felt awful because they were trying to impress her parents and her father acted like that and now they wouldn't even get to go to the castle as promised. She saw some of the sadness enter the crew's faces as they were hoping for a better welcome. She was hoping for a better welcome home as well.