Chapter 44

It was the next day and everyone had returned back to the castle. Tomorrow would be their departure. Killian was in Emma's room sitting on her bed, practicing his knot tying with a small piece of rope he had in his pocket. The princess and her mother were talking and laughing on the balcony. She seemed happy as did the queen. Killian on the other hand had been silent since the visit with Regina and Robin. It was a lot to take in. Learning that the person you love most will forever be endangered till the day they die... It seemed unfair. It was unfair. 

Emma wanted to see the world beyond her kingdom and help everyone she could. That was who she was. Killian knew better than anyone that there were few people like that. It was cruel that someone so kind had to be faced with a death sentence. He wanted to tell the princess the deal her parents made with Rumplestiltskin, she deserved to know. They couldn't keep this secret forever, but he knew it was better kept a secret. The guilt Emma would have, knowing she was the reason her parents would never have another child, would weigh too much on her soul. She would do whatever Rumplestiltskin asked, and he would surely take her magic as well as her life. That secret ate away at him every second of the day now. Looking at his princess and all the love she had within her, how selfless she was... how he had to keep something from her. He was sure she noticed his silence and would soon question him. The pirate hoped more than anything he would be able to keep this secret, knowing it was best.

    Prince Charming came into the room and cleared his voice, "Come with me." He addressed Killian.

Emma and Snow hadn't noticed the king and felt that was intentional. Without saying a word he followed. The king walked through the halls with Killian in silence soon stopping at a door many rooms down. David walked in and the pirate followed. They were in one of the weaponry rooms.

    "Robin told me you know about our deal with Rumplestiltskin." David said, getting straight to the point.

    Killian's face remained sad, "Aye. No need to worry, I won't tell Emma your secrets."

    "I know." Prince Charming said without hesitation, "I actually need a favor from you."

    The captain raised his eyebrows in shock, "What do you need?"

David walked over to where the swords were displayed. Below there was a long black case, which he opened. Inside was a silver sword with a gold handle. The king picked it up and handed it to Killian who was unsure of what was happening. "When Emma was a girl she picked this sword out for me on my birthday. She said she knew this sword would keep me safe." David began to explain, "When the time is right, I want you to give her this sword and teach her how to fight."

    Killian took the sword, finding it oddly heavy, "She already knows how to fight mate... Besides, this sword is far too heavy for her."

    The king laughed, "That's exactly what I thought when she picked it out."

    "Then why keep it?" The captain asked.

    "I kept it as a reminder of why I am fighting." Charming revealed, "It may be impractical, but it reminds me of my daughter every time I use it. It even made me a better fighter, having to learn to handle a more difficult sword."

"Touching story mate, but Emma already knows how to fight." Killian stated, trying to hand the sword back, "You taught her."

David shook his head, "I taught her how to fight like a royal. I need you to teach her how to fight like a pirate... Show her no mercy, teach her to be ruthless. Don't let her be weak."

It was obvious that the sentence hurt the king. His innocent daughter couldn't even hurt a fly, so why teach her to become something she wouldn't want to be? It was more than clear that he was scared for his daughter's life, "If you're so scared of losing her, why let her go?" Killian questioned.