Chapter 76

The next morning...

Emma's heavy eyelids look out into the distance to find nearby land hidden between all the morning fog. She yawned as she continued to steer the Jolly Roger to port as she waited for Killian to return with her morning tea. Today they would spend the night on a small and quiet island. This land was known to be a quick stop for most pirates, allowing Killian to think it would be a safe stop where they could gather everything they needed. Not many people resided there nor spent more than a day, making the chances of them running into trouble low. Above all, he felt it was safe for his princess.

As the Jolly Roger continued to slice through the morning waves, Emma got nervous as land became closer. She didn't know how to dock the massive ship and Killian was still nowhere to be seen. She thought of asking a nearby crew member for assistance but didn't want to seem incapable of completing her assigned task. She still wanted to prove that she was more than just a princess seeking transport on this ship. As she slowed their speed, the captain appeared above deck. "Thank the gods you're here!" Emma beamed, letting out a breath of relief.

Killian chuckled, "My apologies, darling. I'm a bit tired from last night." He winked.

She blushed as he rubbed her arm, "Can you dock, please?"

He scrunched his face at the question. It was time she learned to do this crucial task. She was capable of doing everything it took to sail the Jolly Roger, now it was time to learn to dock. "I'll help you, but you're going to take the old girl to port."

Emma rolled her eyes and let out a small cry of frustration. "Please?" She begged, being sure to give him a look he couldn't resist.

"Nope." The captain responded, "Your puppy dog eyes won't work today." He objected, placing her hands back on the wheel, "Just relax." He instructed as he leaned over her shoulder, "Keep her slow and steady. Let the waves do most of the work."

She found it ridiculously calming how the feeling of his stubble scraping her ear and his warm breath brushing against her skin was enough to make her blush as he gently instructed her what to do. She found herself smiling at the thought of this fearsome, cut-throat pirate snuggled up against her in front of his entire crew, not giving a damn who saw them. "You make it seem so easy." She hitched out as she rested her head against his.

He placed a quick kiss on her cheek as they finished docking, "It just takes some practice. You're practically a natural." He praised.

That statement was true. She had come so far in the amount of time she practiced and he had more confidence in her than he did any other man on his ship. Emma was a force to be reckoned with. In any task she was given, she succeeded. She would practice and practice, read as much as she could on the topic, and truly dedicate herself to everything she did. It was one of the things he admired most about her. Anyone can learn to do something, but she wanted to understand how things worked, always wanted to push the limits, and always had a question to ask. Her curiosity did get tedious at times, especially if he didn't provide an answer to satisfied her, but it was why he loved her beyond words...

After docking, the crew was quick to disperse, but the captain had a strange feeling all of a sudden. He watched as Emma's hair lightly blew in the wind as she looked over the side of the Jolly Roger with a wide smile. Whatever this odd feeling was, it didn't revolve around her. But something didn't sit right with him. He was always one to trust his gut, but he had been here so many times and not once encountered trouble. This was not only one of his favorite stops but also his crew's favorite stop. He couldn't ruin their fun let alone his.

He shook off the uneasy feeling, telling himself he was just him being paranoid over Emma. "Ready, Swan?" Killian asked as he approached his princess.