Chapter 26

Later that same day... 

It was now late afternoon and Emma was finishing up her final fitting for the ball that would be held tomorrow night. Killian had just finished his surprise fitting for a proper outfit for the ball, courtesy of the Queen. Most of the day was spent watching Emma train with her father followed by a brunch. After they ate Emma went off with her mother for a quick history lesson then hours of dress fitting. Killian occupied himself in the castle's library, reading a book about star constellations.

Once Emma had finished changing into her more practical clothes they had some free time before dinner would be severed. The two of them decided it would be spent on the Jolly Roger. The end of the week was near and it was time to meet up with the crew as well as collecting a few more belongings.

    "Alright, I'm ready." Emma said, exiting the room in a simple cream color dress.

    "You look beautiful, darling." Killian said, placing his hand in hers.

    "Are you excited?" Emma asked as they made their way down the hallway.

    "To see the old girl? Aye." He responded, referring to his ship.

    "What about the crew?" She asked, confused he didn't mention them.

    "Aye... something just doesn't feel right though." The pirate said as they walked.

    "Perhaps it's just nerves." The princess responded, not putting much thought into it.

"Aye." Killian responded, not wanting to think about it any longer.

Once they left the castle they made their way to the stables to collect their two horses. Killian had inspired Emma to go riding more and the horses seemed to love the extra attention and exercise.  Emma rode her pure white horse and Killian rode the King's black and white horse. The ride there was like therapy. Wind in their faces, fresh air all around followed by each other's laughter.

When they reached the dock they tied the horses to a nearby tree and walked up the dock to find all the crew already there. This took them by surprise as everyone had arrived way earlier than expected, Emma and Killian were hoping to get some time alone below deck before anyone arrived. That was now out of the question.

"What a lovely surprise." Emma said, trying not to show disappointment on her face. 

"I must admit, I'm surprised you all showed up this early. Usually you all decide to show at the last minute." Killian said, suspicion in his tone.

"Some of the men have an announcement captain..." Mr. Smee said, hiding his face.

"Spit it out then, we haven't got all day." The captain responded.

"Many of us have signed up to join another crew, captain." A scrawny man in the back said.

"The other's have decided to retire to other kingdoms." Mr. Smee added.

"Why would you bastards do a thing like that?" Killian asked, anger all in his voice.

"But you all were going to join my parent army, become knights..." Emma said in a soft tone.

"We're pirates, we want to go find treasure, sail the seas." A heavy-set man responded.

"Truly we're sorry ma'am..." One of the crew members said.

"Sebastian, you were gonna become a chef in our galley..." Emma said, referring to the ship's cook.

"I'm sorry, princess. Truly we are, but our lives are at sea. Not here waiting to serve people." Sebastian responded bravely.

"You all work for me so if I say you are to stay then you will!" Killian shouted.

"Killian, they're right." Emma interrupted.

Everyone on the ship looked at her in surprise. Although they shouldn't be, she was always thinking of what was best for everyone. And what was best was to let them go and find their own happiness. Not wait around to be needed.

    "It's not fair to make them stay somewhere they can't be happy Killian." The princess said to the captain.

    "Rubbish, they work for me-" He began.

    "If it were me would you make me stay?" Emma asked, trying to get through to him.

    "Of course not." He said, looking down.

"Will you still attend the ball tomorrow night?" Emma asked the crew.

"We wouldn't miss your majesty."  One of the men responded.

"Very well, gather your things and get off my ship." Killian said, still upset.

The crew went below deck to their cabins to gather their little belongings, leaving Emma and an upset Killian above deck.

    "Bastards..." Killian said, making his way to the side of the deck.

    "You know it's for the best... letting them go." Emma responded.

    "Still, they could have said something earlier." He responded in a grumble.

    "Why, so you could stop them? Make them feel bad? Scare them into staying?" Emma asked, knowing him too well.

    "I don't know Emma!" He responded almost yelling.

Emma didn't respond to his slight outburst. He needed some space to think without her interrupting his thoughts. The crew was starting to come above deck and the princess said her goodbyes to every single one of them, wishing them luck. A few said their farewells to the captain who only grumbled a goodbye under his breath while looking out into the sea.

    "So I guess I'll meet you back at the castle, unless you're staying here for the night." Emma said, preparing to leave.

    "I'm sorry for my outburst love, you didn't deserve that." He responded, still not looking at her.

    "It's alright, I know you didn't mean it." She responded, knowing how short his temper could be.

    "They're the only family I've ever known..." Killian responded, finally looking up at her.

    "I get it." She said, approaching him.

    "I guess they just couldn't see a future here." He responded as Emma rested her head on his shoulder.

    "Do you... see a future here?" Emma asked, genuinely curious.

    "Aye. I love you." Killian responded.

    "And I love you." The princess echoed, leaning in for a kiss.

Killian gladly returned the kiss, deepening it. He placed one hand behind her head while pulling her body closer to him with the other, resting it on her back. Emma placed her hands on his shoulders, quickly responding to his kiss.

    "Perhaps we should take this below deck?" The princess asked in between kisses.

    "Scared to be seen kissing a pirate love?" Killian teased.

    "I figured we might as well get comfortable if we're going to do more enjoyable activities..." Emma said, looking up to him.

    "Well when you put it that way..."Killian said, pulling her below deck.

The two of them enjoyed some much needed alone time, making out and talking. Soon they would need to return to the castle for dinner and final preparations for the ball the following night. For once, Emma was finally looking forward to a ball and it was all thanks to a pirate.

As always... leave comments, suggestions, anything! :)