Chapter 68

Three months later...

The ball had come and gone and it was a night to remember. Anna had found the perfect light pink ball gown but ended up spilling a dark red drink all over it. Nonetheless, the bubbly princess didn't let it ruin her evening. Elsa, on the other hand, was trying to clean the stain and could be found running after her younger sister throughout the night. Emma and Killian mainly kept to themselves, feeling somewhat out of place in the kingdom still. None of Killian's crew attended the event, not that he blamed them, but it left them alone in the corner with no one else to talk to. Kristoff came and checked on the couple every once and a while but spent his night making sure Sven didn't eat too many sweets and dancing with his fiance.

Some time had gone by and both Emma and Killian's birthday had been celebrated in the Kingdom of Arendlle, not that they had much of a choice. Emma received a lovely dinner with the townspeople who showered her with gifts and for Killian's birthday, it was spent in no other than the local tavern drinking the night away with his crew. It was becoming especially hard on Emma, as she had never spent a birthday without her parents. Snow and David did, however, send her a letter wishing her well and reminding her all was well back home and she shouldn't rush home... 

It was getting harder to keep Emma in Arendelle as she grew more suspicious by the day. She would question why she and Killian had to continue to stay here, why her parents kept telling her not to rush home, why whenever she brought up leaving it was brushed off. Elsa and Killian were running out of excuses... The princess of Misthaven didn't need help with magic anymore and even Anna thought their stay was being overdone. Elsa often thought of telling her outgoing sister the secret so she could help her and Killian think of a plan, but the captain was quick to object, not as trusting of the talkative princess as Elsa was. By not telling Anna meant Kristoff didn't know as well, which was also working against them.

Killian had been trying to persuade Kristoff that he should let Emma help plan their wedding, letting him and Anna get married quicker, but the engaged couple said they didn't want to rush a wedding and that they had all the time in the world...

They were all currently gathered in the library, all doing different tasks. Killian decided it was time to start planning their long journey home as they were running out of excuses. Elsa was pretending to read a book, but the captain knew she was panicking. Emma was reading a spellbook along with Anna... something about needing to find a spell. He didn't think much into it, as long as she was occupied with something else and not bugging him to return home, he could care less.

    Anna bounced up from her seat where she was reading a spellbook, "Here!" She addressed Emma, pointing to something in the book.

    Everyone watched as a wide smile appeared on the Princess of Misthaven's face, "Anna, you're a genius!" She responded, taking the book and walking over to a table, and picking up a hand mirror.

    This alarmed Elsa, "Emma, what are you doing?" She questioned frantically.

    "This spell..." The golden hair princess began to respond as she read the word from the book, "It'll let me see my family back in Misthaven."

The captain and queen gave each other an all to knowing look, but it was too late. They were all looking at Queen Snow and King David in the small mirror. They couldn't hear what was being said, but it was obvious they were upset. Luckily for Killian and Elsa, they could only see Snow and David's face. Emma wouldn't be able to tell her mother is pregnant.

Killian studied his princess's face as she concentrated to keep the image going, but it was clear she couldn't keep it for much longer.

    A few seconds later the image went away, and the hand mirror was nothing more than what it was. "They look upset." Emma said out loud.