Chapter 82

Later that evening...

Killian used his spoon to move the steaming liquid around in the bowl that contained his dinner. He watched as the beef took over, and only a few vegetables surfaced at a time. Carrots being the ones to appear the most. It smelled heavenly, but he had no appetite to eat, nor did everyone else gathered around the table. Henry was the only one to nibble on some food here and there, but didn't make a dent in the meal. Regina and Robin were busy whispering to each other, and he found it slightly annoying. They were discussing what they could do to help, and offering to go find Emma. The captain tried to tell them she didn't want to be found, but they insisted someone should look. Deep down he knew they were right, but she was in her kingdom. No one would dare to harm her here, not even Rumplestiltskin.

Snow and David remained silent the entire meal. They didn't even bother to glance up when the servants asked them a question. Killian knew how many times Emma was scolded for such rude behavior, so it was odd to see them engaging in a double standard. Not that anyone blamed them. Not only had Emma's world shifted, but so had theirs. All those years of lying caught up with them, and there was no amount of preparation that could have spared them the guilt and pain they were feeling now...

The sun had already set, and it was far past the regular super time, but Snow and David held out as long as possible to see if Emma would return to the summer palace. After a few hours with no news, they decided she wouldn't show, and everyone else needed to eat after the long day.

Pointless really, no one was hungry.

After a seemingly never-ending dinner, everyone parted to their rooms. Killian was surprised to learn that his room was next to Emma's. David said they were originally going to share a room, but given the circumstances, he was given his own. Not that he was complaining either, but it was nice to know her parents would've been okay with them sharing.

Perhaps it was good the two of them had their own space after a year of sharing everything. It would be odd not being able to cuddle and give her kisses at night, but he felt this would be his new norm. No more waking Emma with a thousand kisses on her face causing her to laugh. No more turning over at night to admire how the moonlight complimented her beauty. No more trying to quietly get out of bed to not wake her. No more preparing her a special breakfast. No more Emma at all. It seemed unimaginable.

As he walked to his room, he paused in front of her door for a moment. It was slightly ajar, and he nudged it open all the way to take in the sight of all her childhood stuffed animals lined up on a shelf in the bright pink room. He gave a weak smile. It was evident this room hadn't been touched in many years. It has a very small vanity, but a decent-sized bed. Small chairs lined up near her balcony, followed by a child's tea set. A small wardrobe that was not fit for a grown woman sitting in the corner of the room.

Killian closed his eyes and imagined a small Emma running around this room. Smudged makeup on her face, her hair in a tangled mess, and a very poofy dress as she would describe. The princess had told him many tales of her as a young girl, and he would get slightly jealous that he wasn't there to witness it all himself.

He often found himself getting upset because he couldn't imagine his princess wanting a pink room filled with ball gowns and tea sets. The Emma he knew had books piled in her room, with pure oak furniture, and a beige color bed set. She was far from girly. The woman he knew would rather duel a man than wear a fancy ball gown. But when she wore a dress, she took everyone's breath away. That was what he loved most about her. She wasn't the typical woman who would stay home and do as they were told. She feared no one and didn't care if she talked back. Not even her mother could fix that. It's what caught his attention the first time they locked eyes. She beat him in a duel while wearing a dress, and that was the moment he knew she'd be the death of him.