Chapter 45

The sun hadn't risen yet, but Emma's mother came into her room and woke her. Today was the big day. Emma would leave with Neal and Killian, first to bring Neal home, then travel to Arendelle to begin her magic training. The princess was filled with mixed emotions, and overall she determined that she was ready for a new adventure. She quickly got up and got dressed for the day with the moon as her assistant. To her surprise, the princess decided to wear a simple tan dress for her departure with a diamond headband. Emma told herself she might as well savor the moment because this would be the last time she presented herself as a royal for many months ahead. Not that she would miss her corsets and heavy dresses that much, but it was still part of who she was. She would always be that little girl running from her caretakers, barefoot and in the poofiest of dresses. Now she was a woman, who was more than capable of taking care of herself, setting off on a journey of a lifetime. Something she never thought she would ever do... only in her dreams was this possible.

    Emma made her way down to the dining center to find everyone completely exhausted, even Killian who was used to waking up at strange hours. "Mother, why must we be up so early?"

    Snow, who was fully awake, responded joyfully with "I just figured we might as well get a head start on the day."

    "Can you not be so perky right now." Regina rudely stated.

    "Easy." Robin corrected his testy fiancé.

    Killian rubbed his tired eyes, "Your Majesty when I said I wanted to leave early, I meant when the sun would be somewhat in the sky."

    "Yes, but now we have a few more hours to spend together." Snow responded with a smile.

Everyone looked at her like she had gone mad. She went into all their rooms to wake them just so they could sit at a table and all be too tired to carry out a conversation. If anything they were bound to have an argument with all their sour moods mixed together.

"What Snow is trying to say is, we want to cherish these last few moments together, as one whole family, before we're all part again." Charming added on.

"Are you saying you consider me part of the family now?" Killian asked with a childish grin.

David crossed his arms and slouched in his seat, "I guess you've grown on me..."

Killian took whatever victory he could get and nudged Emma who laughed in approval. Everyone played along with the king and queen's wishes despite how tired they were. However, Henry was the only one who didn't seem too tired. Emma, who was sitting next to the boy, noticed he seemed upset.

    "Is everything alright, Henry?" The princess asked.

    "Yeah, it's just that... I wish I could go with you." He responded.

Emma's heart ached for him. He was only a boy, still in school, who had much to learn. Even if Emma wanted to take him, she wouldn't be able to care for him. Nor give him the attention he would need. She would be too busy with her own studies. And the trip was far too dangerous for a boy who knew so little about the world. He would be safer at the castle with her parents who would further his studies and his knight training. For the first time ever, Emma finally understood why her parents would leave her home when they left the kingdom.

    "I'm afraid I can't grant your wish." She responded sadly.

    Whatever hope Henry had left of going with the princess, was now gone... "I'll be good." Henry pleaded, "I'll even help Killian on his ship. I'll stay out of your way." He begged, just as he did when Emma invited him to live in the castle.