Chapter 40

Killian watched Emma dance with Henry. He could tell she was fond of the lad, the way she smiled at him and listened to everything he said, no matter how bizarre it was. And Henry absolutely adored her, a smile never left his face when she was around. All the children of Misthaven attend the ball and Emma tried to dance with as many of them as she could. They loved the Princess and it was no mystery why. She listened to them, played along with them, let all the little girls mess up her hair and dresses, and allowed the boys to believe they were her protectors. The Captain knew he was lucky to be the one she chose to love and he vowed to never take that for granted... 

    The music stopped playing for a moment and Emma made her way over to Killian, "I'm so sorry Killian! I didn't expect all the children of Misthaven to come." She said out of breath. 

    Killian laughed at his exhausted Princess, "That's quite alright, they seem to love you almost as much as I do." He said, handing her a drink.

    The Princess gulped her drink down quickly, hoping her mother wouldn't see her poor etiquette, "It's moments like these I hope they remember forever." She said looking around at her people, "Being happy, not having to worry about anything. When I am Queen one day, I hope I can continue to make my Kingdom proud."

    The Pirate stared at the Princess, knowing she would succeed in anything she put her mind to, "You will."

    "Emma!" Regina said, approaching her, "Happy birthday." She said with a smile.

Emma beamed with happiness, "Oh thank you, Aunt Regina." She said, pulling her Aunt in for a hug.

"I hear you're heading to Arendelle soon." Robin commented approaching from behind Regina.

The Princess's face went to shock... "Oh, Aunt Regina I would have loved to learn magic from you, really! It was my mother's suggestion!" Emma said quickly, not wanting to upset her Aunt who was also quite crafty with magic.

Regina laughed, "Calm down, it's alright." She said calmly, "If I ever got the chance to learn magic without the pressures of your mother, I would take that opportunity too." She said with a wink.

Emma smiled in relief. Regina has been her mother's friend for as long as she could remember. The two definitely have their differences, but they made a great team. Regina and Robin travel every once in a while to struggling kingdoms, trying to help as many people in need as possible. The two always manage to come back for Emma's ball.

    "Have you met Killian?" Emma asked Robin, changing the topic.

    "Ah, I see you've got yourself a pirate. Never thought you were one for princes." Robin said, shaking Killian's hand with a straight face.

    Killian felt like he disapproved of him, "The good kind of pirate..." he said, clearing his throat.

    Robin smiled, "Take it from a thief, good or bad, those days are never behind you." Without giving Killian a chance to respond, he headed back to the dance floor.

    Regina let out a laugh, trying to lighten the mood, "Emma, be sure to stop by our place before you leave, alright?" She said as she followed Robin.

    Emma smiled with a nod, "Your friend, Robin, seems a bit touchy..." Killian remarked as he sipped his drink. He hated feeling like he wasn't good enough for Emma.

    The Princess placed a hand on her Captain's arm to comfort him, "You mustn't mind him. He's like that around all the guys I've been with."

    "The difference is the other guys were princes, not a pirate." He responded.