Chapter 37

After the sunset on the Jolly Roger, Killian was able to use the stars as a guide to sail them Back to Misthaven. David kept his word with being nicer to Killian and it turned out the two of them got along quite well. It made Emma and Snow smile knowing the two men would become fast friends... 

It was now two days later, the night before the Princess's annual birthday ball, and the castle was in chaos. Every last minute detail was being settled and the King and Queen wanted everything to be perfect for their daughter. Emma wasn't a fan of all the hectic behavior, everyone running back and forth, all the shouting... She didn't see the need for a ball every year. It's not like she needed any more gifts nor knew everyone that came to the ball. Emma hated to admit it, but she was kind of a loner. The only people she knew that would attend the ball would mainly be her mother's friends. Her mother had lovely friends and they treated Emma well, but the Princess couldn't tell them anything without them reporting back to her mother.

    Emma layed on her bed covering her ears, hoping it would block out the chaos. Then there was a knock on her door, "You may enter." She said as loud as she could.

    "Hello love." Killian said, walking through the door with a smile, "Are you alright?" He asked after seeing her curled up in bed.

    The Princess sat up, "Yes, I'm alright. I just don't see the need for all this." She said, referring to the ball.

    "I had a feeling you might say that, so I've planned a night out for us." He said taking a seat next to Emma, "Everyone is going to worship you tomorrow, but I want to worship you tonight and away from prying eyes."

    She looked at him with a disappointed face, "You know I'd love to, but my family always has this tradition of a small intimate dinner before the ball. A few of my parents' friends come, a few of mine." She paused, "I was sure you knew about it, I asked mother to invite you ages ago." She added on with a puzzled look.

    "Aye, I was invited." He reassured her, "But I talked with your father and he thought it might do you some good to get away for the night."

    "I don't understand?" Emma interrupted.

    "Tonight dinner will be served earlier than usual, you'll still have some friends over, and eat some cake. After, you and I will head to the tavern for a pirate's celebration and then a surprise." Killian said with a smirk.

    Emma thought it was too good to be true, "And my father approved of this?" She asked, "He really approved of you taking me to a tavern to drink and do whatever else you haven't told me?"

    "Believe it or not love, I think he likes me." He remarked in a confident tone.

    Emma smiled, "Well who wouldn't like a devilishly handsome pirate." She said, placing a kiss on his cheek.

    This made Killian laugh, "It's a date then?"

    "It's a date." Emma echoed.

Emma smiled as Killian left her room, he was off to finish planning their evening and helping with other preparations. For the most fearsome pirate, he was such a romantic. Always wanting to spoil her in any way he could, and she knew that task wasn't easy, she wasn't a materialistic person nor one for wanting attention drawn to her. But a nice simple dinner and a quiet night out would be perfect, and the Captain knew that better than anyone. The Princess wasn't sure the tavern was the best idea for their night out, it was already unladylike to drink but she was also a princess. Her father may have a drink or two at the tavern, but her mother never took a drink unless she was behind the closed doors of the castle. Who knew what the Kingdom would think of her, but she trusted Killian...