Chapter 25

A few days later...

Killian opened his eyes to a light blinding him from the balcony. The sun was rising and it was a new day. He rose from his comfortable bed, feeling the softness of the sheets. The castle definitely had the best beds he's ever slept on. One of the maids began to knock on his door gently.

"It's open love." Killian responded, sleep still in his voice.

"Good morning Mr. Jones." She responded entering the room.

"Aye, morning." He responded, his mind still full of sleep.

"I was told to inform you the Princess is in sword training this morning with the King and the Queen is finalizing the plans for the ball. Breakfast will be severed later than usual, but I can grab you something from the galley if you'd like." She responded, tightening up the room.

"No, that's alright... Do you know where this sword training is taking place?" He asked, getting out of the bed.

"Most likely in the garden or near the stables sir." The maid responded, preparing to make the bed.

"Aye, thank you." He said leaving the room.

He entered the empty hall ready to search for Emma. He was interested in seeing how her father trained her and perhaps he could learn a thing or two. As he made his way through the castle he thought about stopping by the Jolly Roger to grab some new clothes. He's slept in the same clothes he spent all day in. Never once did he do that on the Jolly Roger and regardless, he was still trying to impress the King and Queen. Walking around in the same clothes for the last three days was surely not helping his case.

Killian decided to check near the stables first, it seemed like a more practical area to train. Open field, fresh air and the Queen couldn't yell at them for trampling her flowers. And to his luck, they were there in the middle of a duel. He watched quietly from a distance, trying not to interrupt. Emma had good form but her father had even better form. The King's posture was firm and he threw strong swings at his daughter every single time. His breath was even as if he wasn't exhausted. Emma put up a good fight, deflecting each swing that came at her. Her eyes focused on her father's blade but she was becoming weaker as the seconds passed. Her breath was heavy and sweat-drenched her body causing the loose pieces of her hair to stick to her face regardless of it being pulled back. Knowing the duel was close to an end the King moved closer to the Princess causing her to trip, landing her on a nearby sack, ending the duel.

"Your form becomes weak too quickly, Emma. Always watch your surroundings, don't let your opponent overpower you. You're stronger than that and you know it." David said to his daughter in a firm tone.

The tone of the King's voice took Killian by surprise. Typically he had a gentle tone towards Emma and always treated her as if she was a piece of glass that could break at any moment. His tone wasn't harsh nor rude. Killian felt it held more fear than anger, something he related to. Emma was a good fighter, but clearly not as good as her father. She remained sitting on the sack, accepting defeat. Killian had never seen Emma lose a duel until now, but it seemed as if she was used to losing.

"Come on, get up let's go again." The king said, ready for another fight.

"Father, I'm tired." Emma responded, not moving from her seat.

"And do you think your opponent will care if you're tired?" David responded, slightly raising his voice.

"Remember what I told you, Swan, endurance is everything." Killian said, interrupting.

"Killian you're here!" Emma said happily, getting up to hug him.

"Well I had to come see where you learned all your skills." He responded, returning the hug with a smile.

"Good morning your majesty." Killian said, clearing his throat.

"Yes... Good morning." David responded, watching Emma wrap her arms around Killian.

"Daddy, I've been teaching the crew how to fight!" The princess beamed with happiness.

"They must need a lot of help then, as do you. Come on, we need to continue." He responded emotionless.

"She's quite the fighter, sir. Took out every one of my crew members... Even beasted me a few times." He said to the King, trying to make Emma feel better.

"Is that so. I heard you're quite handy with a sword, how about you and me go for a round?" David asked.

"Dad... that isn't necessary..." Emma interjected.

"Nonsense love... It'd be an honor to fight the man who taught you everything you know." Killian responded, grabbing a sword.

The captain and the King raised their weapons ready to fight. Emma watched from a distance, unsure of who would win. Both men were remarkable fighters and they were both her mentors whom she loved dearly. There was no way she could pick a side even if she wanted to...

The duel seemed to go on longer than intended. Both men had superior form, each with strong swings and even better defense. They moved back and forth, but neither were able to overpower the other. In between the fight, they began to compliment each other and even threw in a few rude remarks in a humorous way, almost as if they were old friends.

"I noticed that ring on my daughter's finger. You give it to her?" David asked as he swung at the pirate.

"Aye, don't worry it's not an engagement ring." Killian responded, blocking a hit from the King.

"Better not be, pirate." David answered as the swords continued to clash.

"It would be bad form to propose without getting the father's blessing." Killian responded, still swinging.

"Please, Captain Jones settling down and getting married. It'll never happen." The King responded, finally getting tired.

"For Emma I would." The pirate responded, taking the King by surprise.

David paused for a moment taking in the sentence. His breath was heavy from the long duel. Killian took this as his moment to disarm the King who took his eyes off the blade. With a quick swing, Prince Charming's sword fell into the dirt path. Both men stood there just staring at each other. The King's face, firm seeming to hold anger. Killian's face full of fear, scared he said the wrong thing, scared he shouldn't have defeated the King.

"I have to admit, I didn't think this duel would ever end." Emma said, interrupting their thoughts as she took her place by Killian.

"Well I have to say, you're the best opponent I've ever had." David said to Killian.

"Likewise, mate." He responded.

"I'm standing right here!" Emma laughed, offended as she's fought both of them as well.

"Aye love, we could never forget you." Killian answered, bringing her in for a hug while pressing his lips to her forehead.

David wasn't too fond of that display of affection but his daughter glowed with happiness, so he let it slide. He was starting to see why Emma liked him. Killian attended to all of her needs and not once did he complain. He adjusted to the royal lifestyle as best he could in a short time, but not once did he act greedy for the crown or money. He was gentle and patient with her, but also gave tough love when needed. And most of all he seemed to love his daughter almost as much as he did and that was more than he could expect of any other suitor. David had promised his daughter that she could choose who to love and she chose the pirate, and the King had to admit he didn't mind one bit.